Here is the CME's complete explanation

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by canadian_dude, May 2, 2003.

1. So you hedge off with YM SPY or QQQ for Christ's sakes.

We all have backup ISPs/modems/UPS/etc for our own local failures, so why not have backup trading vehicles?

Shit happens; deal with it. Try putting up with an inept boss and coworkers 5 days a week as an alternative - this is still a great occupation.

#11     May 3, 2003
  2. Bsulli

Bsulli

#12     May 3, 2003
  3. There is a response to a later question which is interesting.

"We are also starting to roll out network-level redundancy in a few months."

Guess the priority of that project has been moved up a tad. (This also seems to be an answer to nitro's question. There appear to be components in the network which have no backup or failover.)

#13     May 3, 2003
  4. bone

bone

The technology manager should be fired at the CME. Now that they are a publicly-held company making all kinds of revenue with a soaring stock price, maybe a class-action suit is in order.

#14     May 3, 2003
  5. Banjo

Banjo

Agree, being a public co. presents more exposure and even tho it didn't cost me anything that was a real asshole scene that was preventable with the proper planning. The only way they learn is to hit them where it hurts badly enough that the bean counters convince them to do it right in the first place.

#15     May 3, 2003
  6. nitro

nitro

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I can't believe it!

nitro :eek: :mad:

#16     May 3, 2003
  7. Had a couple of people at the CME tell me that while they're using the "network component failure" as the sole reason for the failure, what really kept things off line was a series of software screwups after that whichi they don't want to admit to.

Completely agree with the earlier poster who suggested they whack the CME's technology head. Having a major exchange go down during regular trading hours (short of major catastrophe outside their area of control) is inexcusable.

#17     May 3, 2003
  8. "During the failure more than 25% of the firms that access GLOBEX were without service. The affected users lost the ability to add, modify or delete orders at 11:18. Certain users lost market data services while others could trade as usual, hence the market was still active. The Exchange technical and trading operations staff used the following 16 minutes to characterize the problem and concluded that the market would be best served by halting trading."

This is quoted from the email IB sent out.

This is indeed a very confusing picture ...

#18     May 3, 2003
  9. I have to say that the above statement bothered me.

First, let me say that I'm one of those who lost money Thursday. I'm pissed off about it.

Here's a few things that piss me off, in no particular order:

1. I noticed the system was not operating correctly. I incorrectly assumed that it was IB, and would be back up in their normal 5-15 minutes. But let's be clear about something....by the time anyone notified me regarding this outage, it was too late. But I note that the "pit" had already been notified ahead of the public, as usual, and was beginning to act on that knowledge, as usual. In other words, the playing field was not even, and the pit acted on the knowledge.

2. I don't know what fairy tale you've been reading about the 'floor'. Recent news events talking about the 'front running' going on on the NYSE. This has been going on in the futures market for years. The "Merc doesn't intentionally screw anyone"? LOL. Where you been man? They'd screw their own grandmother if there was a tick in it. Please!

3. "If you lost you're a lousy trader". You know, last time I looked, the main thing he does is buy low, sell high. And in connection with that, I will say that I've been trading for over 30 years. I can tell you that the market did not bottom in a normal fashion. And once the Globex news hit, the market turned almost on a dime and never looked back. I don't attribute that to a 'conspiracy', but the Globex outage became a technical factor which literally turned the market in a way it would not normally turn. It created buyers for futures contracts who knew there would be public buyers artificially later on. None of this has anything to do with 'trading' per se...it has to do with how quickly you got the knowledge about the outage.

4. Yes, a short ES could have been hedged. Let's say 500 shared of SPY could have been bought, margin cost of about $23K per contract hedged. If you think that every guy trading the ES has an extra $23K sitting in the account in addition to the overnight margin for a contract (each contract had to be carried), think again.

Admittedly, an easy hedging mechanism would have been the Dow contract on the ACE system, which was still functioning. Frankly, that didn't occur to me, the Dow future is so far off my horizon. Besides, keep in mind, at first various times were thrown out about when it would be back up....so depending on the reason for your position to begin with, you might not have wanted to put the hedge on for that brief period of time.

It only became clear later that Globex was not going to reopen. And by that time a good portion of the rally Thursday was already in the bag.

I closed the position Friday at a loss. It wasn't a big loss particularly, but keep in mind it was only a trade for me (not a scalp), a trade I had a profit of about 15 points from a short Wednesday, when Globex went down. This was a trade that I would have made money on in a normal course of events, except for that type of event. And further, as I've already said, I think the event changed the dynamics of the market at that time. We'll never know that for sure now though.

I think there were undoubtedly any number of small traders who were hurt by this event, and really didn't have a way to deal with the problem. I think that's too bad. If you're a truly a 'lousy trader', then you'll lose money in the end because you won't buy low sell high. But to lose money this particular way is not a function of 'trading'. I think if Globex was operating a system the way it begins to sound, these characters should have their ass kicked.

And you sir, unfortunately exhibit a lack of human compassion to call people idiots and/or lousy traders because they were hurt by malfunctioning technology. I took the time to read some of your prior posts, and noticed that this isn't the first time you've resorted to calling others idiots. This method of communication on your part really says a great deal about you....none of it favorable.

OldTrader

#19     May 3, 2003
  10. klutz

klutz

Good post !

#20     May 3, 2003