Here is my latest article on placing a stop. Hope it helps.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Andrea Wylan, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Dazz

Dazz

"my point is that there is less anxiety and more calm (psychology) by placing a stop at the start of the trade".

Ok - so how do you measure anxiety and calm? Surely these must have been measured otherwise it is just speculation - remember a thing that cannot be measured cannot be understood. So no measurements, no understanding. I must admit I feel calm saying that.

#41     Sep 8, 2020
    monee likes this.
  2. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

Sorry, I see it differently! You know when you are anxious or not, and you can measure it.

#42     Sep 8, 2020
  3. deaddog

deaddog

My plan has alerts then a hard stop.
    If a stock (what I trade) trades below a certain level and closes below that level I set a hard stop below the low of that time frame.
    Too many times I have seen a position hit my alert level then recover.
    I risk a little more with a free fall but over time this has worked for me.
    No stress or anxiety; It's in the plan and I follow the plan.

#43     Sep 8, 2020
  4. Thanks OP , a good advice on stop loss, this is a very good discussion, i always set my platform to enter bracket order automatically every time i put an order, and then i immediately move the stop to the point i want.

Now, my biggest problem is i cannot hold the trade when it is going in profit, because many times the price goes against me because of the choppy situation so instead of taking the profit it ended as a loss, maybe the entry is wrong, and i admit it is hard to find the exit, i based my entry on 1 minute chart, maybe this is too small timeframe i dont know, still bleeding my account almost daily basis doing day trading on stocks.
    hope someday i can find the answer.

#44     Sep 9, 2020
  5. Dazz

Dazz

then let me ask again please:
    so how do you measure anxiety and calm? Surely these must have been measured otherwise it is just speculation - remember a thing that cannot be measured cannot be understood. So no measurements, no understanding. Sorry to be a stickler for scientific process.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    #45     Sep 9, 2020
  6. d08

d08

Nope, not necessarily. Tight stops with slippage can kill you. Being whipsawed out of trades repeatedly can kill you.

#46     Sep 9, 2020
  7. Dazz

Dazz

that is nice; so is the exact definition of "tight stops" and how were they measured over the last 100 trades?

#47     Sep 9, 2020
  8. d08

d08

It depends on your overall system, doesn't it?

#48     Sep 9, 2020
  9. Dazz

Dazz

It always does; so based on his system and his last 100 trades what is his definition of "tight" and how was it measured on what index?

#49     Sep 9, 2020
  10. HeartMath???
    https://www.heartmath.com

My session yesterday morning (the journaling part is really helpful):

upload_2020-9-10_19-36-6.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    #50     Sep 10, 2020