Here is my latest article on placing a stop. Hope it helps.

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Andrea Wylan, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Dazz

Dazz

I agree with Scataphagos; the psychology of a stop cannot be measured, defined or observed. Might as well talk about the spirits of a stop or karma or mojo.

#31     Sep 8, 2020
  2. taowave

taowave

So you never adjust for volatility?

#32     Sep 8, 2020
  3. No. Recommend NOT "adjusting stops". Have your thinking done at the time of the trade.... that is, "risking ___ on this play, that's it".

#33     Sep 8, 2020
    KCalhoun, ET180 and taowave like this.
  4. taowave

taowave

Ok,I get it...Price action/TA first foremost and "only"...

You dont factor in "derivatives" of price..

Do you trade equal dollars andrisk equal dollars??

#34     Sep 8, 2020
  5. Andrea Wylan

Andrea Wylan Sponsor

Part of the point of my article is that there is less anxiety and more calm (psychology) by placing a stop at the start of the trade. At least there was for one trader. Perhaps many. . .

#35     Sep 8, 2020
    ET180, Tradex and taowave like this.
  6. Tradex

Tradex

Absolutely, Andrea.

In fact the trader should place the stop before even initiating the buy/sell order itself! :D

#36     Sep 8, 2020
    KCalhoun and Andrea Wylan like this.
  7. taowave

taowave

Not sure how you could not place a stop at the time of trade....

#37     Sep 8, 2020
  8. I wouldn't say, "to the exclusion of derivatives"... after all, "market holding 50 day average or 200 day average" are price trades. But as to something like MACD, then no.

Do you mean, "always trading/risking the same amount of money"? If that's your question, then no.

#38     Sep 8, 2020
  9. taowave

taowave

Then you my friend are an Artiste!!!

Thats a compliment.assumi g you make money:)

#39     Sep 8, 2020
  10. Someone posted today, "Nasdaq just closed under the 50 day moving average" and is therefore expecting downside acceleration.

Alternatively, the downside break is small and not much different than having held the 50 day. In addition, today's action was a "tombstone doji at the 50 day". That could easily be a bottom and the end of this little correction. Don't be surprised if the market is up a good amount tomorrow.

#40     Sep 8, 2020