Here is a list of accomplishments we have in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Huh! That's interesting and something I never knew. In history classes we were always taught that wars had discrete beginnings and endings. "And on such and such a date the Japanese surrendered." The history books then go on to the reconstruction as if hostilities stopped on a dime.

#11     Dec 21, 2003
  2. The last time I checked, service in the United States Military was optional and not a requirement for any U.S. citizen. So while it is unfortunate that people have lost their lives, it is a most unfortunate possibility for anyone who chooses to enlist.

Likewise, how many people are killed each year in the construction industry? Are we supposed to stop building things because some people are, statistically speaking, bound to die once they start performing their job?

How many Iraqi citizens would be brutalized right now if Saddam and his evil regime were still in power? Are you going to make the distinction that one life is more valuable than another?

#12     Dec 21, 2003
  3. Pabst

Pabst

Well aphie, you just shot down the duplicity of the "moralistic" liberal argument. To the left, American lives are worth more than Iraqi's, tax dollars are better spent on pay raises for federal employees than for freedom.

It's the same double talk we've heard for years from organized labor. Workers should be paid well for "moral" reasons, but if a corporation exports jobs to developing nations then those in the third world trying to escape poverty are complicate with big business in "stealing" American jobs.

#13     Dec 21, 2003
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Agreed. Hell, while we are at it, I think we should just remove cops too. I think that profession is way too dangerous. Do you know how many cops are killed each year on the job? What about pilots? Many pilots each year die in plane crashes both commercial and private, I think we should just take the planes out of the air and go back to trains. Oh wait, we can't do that either, there are usually several major train wrecks a year. Well we just have to use cars to travel then. Oh wait, we can't do that either, too many deaths each year in car accidents. Well, we'll just have to do away with mass transportation altogether then.

What about fireman? Man, too many fireman die each year in fires, we can't have this, we'll just let the buildings burn down. It's just not worth it to lose innocent fireman over a stupid building or house. We could go on and on with all these examples. I think everyone get's the point.

Look, most people in the military don't have it that bad. Most of my friends in the service over the years had it a lot better then I did. They got 30k for college. Many of them got 10k signing bonuses. And while they are in almost all their expenses are paid for so they can save a lot of money. Guys this is not a bad deal. If you look at how many of our serviceman have died over the last 30 years it's not even 1%. So the 99% that never see any action or who lose their lives make out pretty nicely. I have friends that left their 4 year stints with with 50k to pay for school. Not bad.

Every life lost is a tragedy but we are ignoring all the other lives lost. The bottom line is the military is OPTIONAL. Does everyone understand this? So is becoming a cop, so is becoming a fireman or a pilot. All these people understand the risks of their occupation. I don't know why so many left minded people on this board have such a tough time with this. If those of you on the left are that worried about lost lives, then get off your f*cking ass and do something about the 20 million unborn innocent children we have killed over the last ten years. Why are you people so f*cking quiet on that issue but you are jumping up and down going nuts because we have lost 400 some odd men in a war.

Yeah yeah I know, you felt as though they didn't have to die because we lied to them and tricked them and we sent them to die for the oil. Blah blah blah. Heard it all before. And you know what, those 20 million children didn't have to be killed either through mass genocide, I mean abortion.

#14     Dec 21, 2003
    #15     Dec 22, 2003
  6. We also hunted down and killed around 30,000 Evil Doing Iraqi scumbag Saddam-loving bastids... God Bless America and Israel in the Battle against Evil...

#16     Dec 22, 2003
  7. Accidents also happen when fireman, police and just about every other occupation that trains for dealing with dangerous situations and equipment. So what is your point?

So you are going to use the argument that since we are not attacking all nations with evil regimes, we are not justified in dealing with one? We have troops in Afganistan and Iraq. If we placed our troops in every nation at this point in time, we'd be spread very thin. The reason we are in the middle east is because, last I checked, Cubans weren't flying planes into tall buildings.

#17     Dec 22, 2003

8. Exactly. The military is pretty damn good deal these days.
    Also, some people seem to think a soldier is a soldier is a soldier. Well, it's not. The kind of MOS's that actually see frontline duty, like infantry, for example, are only one part of the armed services. And nobody forces these guys to take these MOS's. They're elective. So, let's look at the motivation of people that do join them. Basically, they're mercenaries. At some level, they want to get out there and fight. A lot of people might find that disgusting, but it's the truth.
    Look, I'm human too, and I'm also saddened by the loss of life. I think it's a damn shame that people die in wars. But I'm also a realist. And the reality is very much that war is, contrary to peacenik slogans, sometimes very much the answer. Thankfully, we have enough people that are eager to wage it that we don't have to forcefully enlist people that don't want to.

#18     Dec 22, 2003
  9. ElCubano

ElCubano

Prove to me that America is that much safer ( high alert ) and terrorism has been dealt any type of blow and show me the "WMD"......Isnt this why we went to WAR???

Dont get me wrong Mavman...believe me it feels great to have this thug gone and im extremely happy for the Iraqi people, trust me I am.....but nontheless and as bad as this may sound...that wasnt why we went in.......

you like to stay on topic but yet sway far away when talking about this WAR.....please stay on topic...and answer the questions......peace and merry christmas....

#19     Dec 22, 2003
    #20     Dec 22, 2003