Herbalife (HLF) Exposed!

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by lwlee, Dec 21, 2012.

1. lwlee

lwlee

Personally I think the thing is a scam and I would never buy from them just like I would never buy from Direct Buy, another dubious merchandiser. But if the govt doesn't shut them down, I can't see how Ackman will be able to weather the short squeeze from guys like Loeb. Loeb points out HLF could initiate a buyback which would squeeze Ackman even tighter.

#51     Jan 9, 2013
  2. sprstpd

sprstpd

I agree - I have no position. It's just I find Loeb's "arguments" to be unconvincing compared to Ackman's. There is no detail in his comments that make me believe he can refute anything in Ackman's slides.

#52     Jan 9, 2013
  3. expect a halt within 48 hours

#53     Jan 9, 2013
  4. thanks for posting the Loeb letter .

#54     Jan 9, 2013
  5. I'd bet that Loeb is already heading for the exit.

#55     Jan 9, 2013
  6. #56     Jan 9, 2013
  7. Ash1972

Ash1972

Loeb is arguing that whilst black may not be white, it can certainly pass for grey. But let's face it, we live in a regulatory world which let Corzine off scott free, so I don't think HLF will really have much to answer for.

#57     Jan 9, 2013
  8. #58     Jan 9, 2013
  9. hajimow

hajimow

I have not traded HLF as of now but I will gamble on 200 shares shorting at 42. Maybe it will go through at 4 AM to 9 AM.

#59     Jan 9, 2013
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

"Despite being described as "friends" by the Times, Ackman and Loeb also have a history of bad blood. In 2009, Loeb invested in an Ackman fund that was making a huge, leveraged bet on shares of Target, the big-box store that was once a target of Ackman's agitation. When the fund failed to produce results, Loeb lost millions. According to Institutional Investor, Ackman's Target disaster gave Third Point one of its worst years on record."

Mmmmmmmmmm, loving it!!!!

#60     Jan 10, 2013