help with virus and spyware ---

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by NY_HOOD, Nov 17, 2011.

1. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

whats a good anti virus/ spware program i can buy at best buy thats effective and doesnt slow down the start up as much as norton?
    THANKS

2. BSAM

BSAM

Buy?
    Are you kidding me?
    Here ya go: Microsoft Security Essentials

3. Do you already have a virus or suspect you do? Or are you looking to prevent infection?

4. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

I already have a virus...computer is super slow and it always freezes.

5. The best advice? Do what BSAM suggests, download and run Microsoft Security Essentials. Then reformat your hard drive. I have very little confidence in any "anti-virus" to help you. It could happen, I just am pessimistic.

As far as future prevention goes...your router's hardware based firewall is more capable than any software based solution. Add a sandbox like the one that comes free with Chrome and you're golden. This is my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it. I do not use any anti-virus software...I run XP with it's firewall turned off, automatic updates turned off, and no anti-virus installed.

If you are getting the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) note what error code(s) it gives you. In my experience your problems may not always be a virus. Memory can go bad and cause problems like freezing.