Help with Thinkorswim profit taking issues.

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by VinceField, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Thinkorswim doesn't allow me to scale out (take partial profits) when I have a stop order in place. For example, if 100% of my position has a stop loss set for -1R, it won't let me sell 50% of my position at +1R. It thinks I want to short sell the stock. I have to cancel the stop loss in order to scale out. Is there a way I can sell part of my position with a full stop loss in place?

2. danielc1

danielc1

Maybe you can use bracket orders?

VinceField likes this.
  3. Yeah I'll give that a try, thanks!

4. I was just messing around in the platform and I was able to do what I requested in my initial post. But I was trading earlier today and I wasn't able to do it. It was telling me that I couldn't short sell. I'm not sure what caused the error but I don't recall doing anything differently. Oh well. For anyone curious, you can set the stop loss in active trader by clicking the price in the "ask size" column (below the entrance price), and then chose the sell limit orders by adjusting the share size and clicking the prices you want to scale out at in the same "ask size" column but above the entrance price. You can also choose OCO or trigger w/bracket orders to set all the levels at once.