Help with strategies for day trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IRAF, Jun 24, 2001.

1. I try to keep things simple, and also try to be very patient.

I have a basket of 6 nas stocks. I look for consolidation during the day. When the price looks like it may be close to the top or bottom of the consolidation range, I check the nasdaq TRIN, TICK and Futures. If at the top of the consolidation range, I look for the TRIN to be .8 or less, the TICK greater than 0, and the futures on an up-trend. Then I'll go long if they all agree, but only after the stock breaks above the high of the consolidation range.

If at the bottom, I look for the TRIN to be 1.2 or greater, the TICK less than 0, and the futures on a down-trend. Then I short once the stock trades lower than the consolidation low.

I do about 85% of my trades profitable this way. Last Friday I traded nothing because my rules of engagement were never met. Last week only yielded a few trades. The market has been very choppy so I've kept my targets close and my stops even closer.

I like to sell 50% of my position once the price hits my target (predefined based on resistance/support levels), and then use a trailing stop for the other 50%.

#11     Jun 24, 2001
  2. Every night I do 1-2 hours of research to compile a list of 20 or so charts that look promising. Then in the first 30 mins of trading i usually eliminate all but maybe 5. That gives me a small list of things to watch. I also watch the 1-5 story stocks of the day, cause they are always primed for big moves. Finally, I have a half dozen nyse stocks that I trade almost every day, so if nothing else is happening, I know I can scalp dimes from them all day long, and at least make a few k.

#12     Jun 25, 2001