Help with my Amazon Shopping Cart :)

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by insight, Dec 12, 2005.

1. insight

insight

Hi there Traders. I have a lot of books in my shopping cart but don't want to buy them all at once. What would you rate as a must buy from the following list? I would like to limit my spend to around $300 this time :)

"Long Term Secrets to Short Term Trading" Williams, $35
    "Practical Speculation" Niederhoffer, $12.89
    "Trading Day by Day: Winning the Zero Sum Game of Futures Trading" F.H. Chick Goslin, $65
    "Bollinger on Bollinger Bands" John Bollinger, $32.97
    "Trading Systems That Work: Building and Evaluating Effective Trading Systems" Thomas Stridsman, $34.65
    "The New Science of Technical Analysis" Thomas DeMark, $49
    "The Mathematics of Money Management: Risk Analysis Techniques for Traders" Ralph Vince, $63.27
    "What I Learned Losing a Million Dollars" Jim Paul, $28.95
    "New Market Timing Techniques: Innovative Studies in Market Rhythym & Price Exhaustion" Thomas DeMark, $50.40
    "How Markets Really Work: A Quantitative Guide to Stock Market Behaviour" Larry Connors, $49.95
    "Street Smarts: High Probability Short-Term Trading Strategies" Laurence A. Connors, $175
    "Connors on Advanced Trading Strategies" Larry Connors, $150
    "Trade Stocks & Commodities with the Insiders: Secrets of the COT Report" Williams, $32.97
    "The Right Stock at the Right Time: Prospering in the Coming Good Years" Williams, $18.45
    "Trading Systems and Methods" Perry Kaufmann, $95
    "New Trading Systems and Methods" Perry Kaufmann, $78.75
    "Curtis Arnold's PPS Trading System: A Proven Method for Consistently Beating the Market" Curtis Arnold, $47.50
    "How I made $1,000,000 Trading Commodities Last Year" Williams, $31.50
    "How I made $2,000,000 in the Stock Market" Nicolas Darvas, $10.36
    "Bulls Eye Investing: Targeting Real Returns in a Smoke and Mirrors Market" John Mauldin, $11.53
    "How to Trade in Stocks: The Livermore Formula for Combining Time Element and Price" Livermore, $29.95
    "The Secrets of Selecting Stocks for Immediate and Substantial Gains" Williams, $25
    "Beyond Technical Analysis: How to Develop and Implement a Winning Trading Strategy" Tushar Chande, $85
    "Day Trade Futures Online" Williams, $35
    "High Probability Trading" Marcel Link, $26.37
    "Trading with DiNapoli Levels: The Practical Application of Fib Analysis to Investment Markets" DiNapoli, $162
    "Trading the Ross Hook" Joe Ross, $175
    "Trading is a Business" Joe Ross, $150

Cheers,
    Andrew.

2. "How I made $1,000,000 Trading Commodities Last Year" Williams

"How I made $2,000,000 in the Stock Market" Nicolas Darvas

WOuld you rather make $1 million or $2 million... lol

3. "The Right Stock at the Right Time: Prospering in the Coming Good Years" Williams, $18.45

"Bollinger on Bollinger Bands" John Bollinger, $32.97

How to Trade in Stocks: The Livermore Formula for Combining Time Element and Price" Livermore, $29.95

4. From your shopping list, you will note that three of those titles have the word "secret" in it. All three belong to the ubiquitous Mr. Larry Williams. How are thinking people supposed to regard mass-marketed books with the word "secret" in the title? And if you think that I am being presumptuous and precipitous by judging a book by its title, then I would direct you to the following little number, wherein the author takes a closer look at Mr. Williams and those like him:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...002-9904128-2252800?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

And while you may not feel comfortable judging a book by its title, I think that you can at least draw a vague idea of how the author regards his targeted audience.

5. What you will learn from reading books is that there is nothing in those books that will help you develop a real edge in the market.

The latest trading book fashion is the lizard brain books which used to be called the behavioral finance books which used to be called the emotional trader books which used to be called the trading in the zone books which used to be called the zen trader books..... None of which can tell you, given conditions X,Y & Z, should you buy, sell or do nothing right now.

6. omniscient

omniscient Guest

what type of trading do you do? also, fwiw, you may benefit as much, if not more, from looking at non-trading books. several seasoned/respected ET members have posted their suggestions on various threads. may be worth your time to search recent threads for such recommendations.

hth

take care :)

omni

7. nkhoi

nkhoi

I have most of them, I plan to read them someday, I have 5 of them right next to me, pick any book, read it 5 times, understand it thoroughly, then move on to next book, after couple of books you will find they are pretty much the same in principles.

ps start with "High Probability Trading" Marcel Link, $26.37

8. insight

insight

Good replies, thanks for taking the time :)

Presently I'm trading stock inidices on an EOD basis, also I'm trading equities on a position basis (14 day average hold).

I have found much personal value in Larry Williams works for my own trading.

Agree very much about reading outside the field to improve your trading, currently reading 'The Art of War' and I'm a big fan of psychology and self improvement books, also general investing and in particular Real Estate investing which is my other job.

Also I have wasted far too much of my life studying chess literature which also seems to have some flow on to trading, you never know where your next good idea will come from, which is one of the reasons I love reading as much as I can get my hands on.

Cheers,
    Andrew

9. nkhoi

nkhoi

#10     Dec 12, 2005