Help with my 1st GUN purchase

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PiggyBank, Jan 8, 2013.

1. pspr

pspr

Piggy, I'm not a Colt fan and I would probably go for a BushMaster or something else rather than pay the price for Colt. I read something once about Colts being more proprietary for parts, too. Most of the AR-15's being auctioned are new from the dealer. A few are used. Like I said, you need to see the rating of the seller and see if there is a return period and read the description and look at the pics. Ask any questions to the seller.

I don't have an AR-15 so I don't have enough knowledge/experience to advise you on the questions you are asking. There is quite a bit of info out there on various gun sites. Maybe a google search for AR-15 and manufacturer name or option can turn up some answers for you.

I think Bushmaster says they sell most to militaries and DPMS is one of the US M-16 suppliers (I think). Others here can probably tell you more than I can.

It's always best to buy local if you can on expensive items but I have found this a good online way to go.

#11     Jan 8, 2013
  2. Tsing, I was looking at this originally: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-RECCE-16-AR15-Bravo-Company-carbine-rifle-s/144.htm

last time i was on the site it said ALL of their rifles were sold out, maybe that isn't the case now. I have also read good things about a 14.5" barrel with a mid-length gas system.. the barrels are legal if they have a pinned compensator and measure 16" total (going by what i read). I haven't seen a price for something like this so I don't really know but I don't want to spend more than like 2k.. maybe 2500. If that isn't doable I would probably go for a finished lower now and hope they don't ban the sale of parts.

#12     Jan 8, 2013
  3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Why are you looking to pay up to $2500 for a weapon you have no experience with? Just curious. My first AR was $800. I then learned what I liked about LRs and did some research and practice, until I realized what I was looking for. I upgraded, repeated until I was sufficiently experienced to get something nice. That's when I bought the mr556 HK and am now in love with it.

#13     Jan 8, 2013
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

The OP may want to consider finding an AR15 he can try out to see if he even likes it.

I own a Springfield Armory M1A myself, never really liked the AR15 personally.

I looked at buying some 20 round mags for it recently. Virtually all are sold out.

#14     Jan 8, 2013
  5. I'm looking for a quality lasting rifle in case I can't buy another one, that is my thought process. Don't get me wrong i don't want to spend 2500 on something I've never used and don't know how to use but the libs have been getting their way and I have the feeling they will on this as well. Besides aren't the cheaper rifles still pricey at the moment?

#15     Jan 8, 2013
  6. Tucson is using our anniversary to buy guns from owners.

The NRA is being noisy here.

I am assuming a lot of people like you will be hovering near the collection points.

The deal is a $50 gift certificate to the food store where the killings took place.

Good luck for doing a killing in the market every day.

#16     Jan 8, 2013
  7. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

You're getting ahead of yourself. What state do you live in, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you don't want to put it on the forum.

#17     Jan 8, 2013
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Precisely why I asked the questions I did.

#18     Jan 8, 2013
  9. Lucrum, the only person I know who I am aware has an ar-15 is my cousin who moved out to Arizona like two years ago for a teaching gig. I did think about that before i decided on one.. you guys are probably right that I am getting ahead of myself but if they get banned I will regret not buying one.

#19     Jan 8, 2013
  10. Why?

#20     Jan 8, 2013