Help with multiple monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syd697, Aug 4, 2002.

1. mpow

mpow

I upgraded from win2000 pro to winxp pro about a month ago and I couldn't be happier. Although win2000 is a solid operating system (miles apart in quality and reliability than win98!), it does have one problem that constantly irritated me. Win2000 has a memory leak problem that can crash a system that relys on an AMD processor. Xp is as solid as a rock and seems slightly faster in terms of application execution than win2000.

XP Pro is a solid choice. But if u prefer the win2000 look and feel, still upgrade to XP Pro and change the theme to win2000. That way you get the best of both worlds.

#41     Aug 5, 2002
  2. Hendrix

Hendrix

A related, but slightly different question.

Does anyone know if it is it possible to WIRELESSLY drive a mirror monitor?

I want to mirror one of my monitors in a different part of the house (say, 50 feet away), but don't want to have to go thru the process of running new wiring thru walls, floors etc.

Thanks

#42     Aug 5, 2002
  3. syd697

syd697

Thanks to all who have given their input on this subject. Very informative. Since I am running win98, it seems that upgrading to win2000 is the best move. Is there anyway to get a new pc these days with win2000 instead of winXP pre-installed?

#43     Aug 6, 2002
  4. wild

wild

don´t worry: on the same PC i have both Win2K & WinXP working on different partitions ... can´t see/feel any difference stability-wise.

regards

wild

#44     Aug 6, 2002
  5. I have the both, and XP Pro is better, more stable and faster than Win2000. Also, with the latest Service Pack, XP is faster than previous release.

#45     Aug 6, 2002

6. Wild, that is wild!

#46     Aug 6, 2002
  7. Today , I installed a Appian dual card (geronimo) with 1 single Nvidia card and have Win 2000 operating system giving me 3 monitors with the Appian giving me monitors 1 and 2 and the Nvidia giving me monitor 3. Problem is when I drag a quote window from mon1 or 2 to mon 3 sometimes it stays there BUT most of the time it goes back to either 1 or 2. Any insights on how to solve this issue?

#47     Aug 6, 2002
  8. this is a good point, Service Pack 1 is about to be released (if it hasn't already).

XP Pro will probably continue to be improved, while I think Win2k is "done". I doubt MS would pour more money into improving 2k since they want you to buy XP.

If you've got 2k already, stick with it, but if you've got 98/ME (god help you with ME!!), XP Pro looks like the way to go.

#48     Aug 6, 2002
  9. wild

wild

Win2K Service Pack 3 available ... 126 mb

#49     Aug 6, 2002
  10. yup it came out last week, but I was just wondering if this would be it, or just how much further they could take it. Thanks for pointing out though, lotsa 2k users on this board :D

#50     Aug 6, 2002