Help with multiple monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syd697, Aug 4, 2002.

1. lol.but seriously Nitro...cool setup you got there....looks like you got all the charts set up in true Nitro spread styles.....
    see ya later.

what's with that bong-like device on the table(near far left LCD)?

#31     Aug 5, 2002
  2. One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that many common video cards from the past 2-3 years already support Dual Monitors. I have an Nvidia G force 2 MX 400 that I bought just for good graphics, and I found out after installing it that it supports two monitors. If your computer is less than a couple years old it might already support two monitors.

#32     Aug 5, 2002
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

syd697:

Windows 98 is not allowed in our firm: We require Windows 2000 because it is stable and easier to manage.

For multiple monitor support Windows 2000 with Matrox cards is great. As long as your base hardware is ready for Windows 2000 I would get rid of 98 and start fresh with 2000 and Matrox cards.

It pays to have good equipment .....

#33     Aug 5, 2002
  4. mpow

mpow

Maybe you should start of with just two monitors. Any of the new nvida cards support a dual monitor setup. Check out the Nvidia ti4200. You can get it for less than 190 bucks and you also get great graphics for games, which can keep your trading reflexes sharp during non market hours. :)

#34     Aug 5, 2002
  5. Tony01

Tony01

I'd just like to add that I don't think it's necessary to buy a dual/quad video card unless there is an issue with available space in your computer. I currently have 4 19" CRTs, each running on a separate but identical card. I have Win2k Pro but have had 3 monitors on Win98 in the past. I've never used the dual/quad cards so I don't know if they're better. All I know is I've had no problems with my setup and it's much cheaper!

BTW, I must suggest as others have that you get Win2k. Having used both Win98 & Win2k for trading and on multi-monitor set-ups, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND WIN2K!! However I got Win2k pre-installed when I bought a new computer. I understand there may be issues trying to upgrade from Win98.

Just my 2 cents,

Tony

#35     Aug 5, 2002
  6. definately AGP

#36     Aug 5, 2002
  7. Anyone using XP Pro? Is it better than 2k (or at least the same)? They cost about the same so I've been wondering...

#37     Aug 5, 2002
  8. I am trying it out, I like it but I have not switched over my trading computer at the office...

#38     Aug 5, 2002
  9. gnome

gnome

Don't have personal experience, but have read on sites like ET, "Win2000 is the preferred choice over XP Pro". I don't know why, but some have commented, "XP Pro SUCKS... get Win2000".

In any event, I use Win2000 with 4 monitors and it all works smooth as a gravy sandwich.

#39     Aug 5, 2002
  10. gnome

gnome

Now I understand that ATI is not revered like Nvidia. However, (a) trading graphics is hardly as demanding as gaming, and (b) I have 3 16 mg PCI cards + 1 16 meg All-in-Wonder (TV and media) running in my computer and they only cost $160 for the 4. All works fine. FWIW.

#40     Aug 5, 2002