Help with multiple monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syd697, Aug 4, 2002.

1. I wish this board had been around years ago when I got started, think of all the trail and error I could have saved myself by reading posts like the ones above.

#21     Aug 4, 2002
  2. wild

wild

#22     Aug 4, 2002
  3. gnome

gnome

I was reluctant to switch too. Seemed "not too bad" to have to put up with all the unreliability, after all never really trashed anything... just gummed things up a lot. (Oh, forgot to mention, probably reinstalled W98 about a dozen times). Now, virtually no problems. 3 years of daily annoyance for nothing. Tsk, tsk.

#23     Aug 4, 2002
  4. syd697-

you've recieved some great tips from some quality traders(nitro excluded ) but I thought i might toss out my experience with you since i still run windows 98 and recently added a 2nd monitor.

step 1) call family and friends to find old 17" monitor for free
    step 2) i went to Comp USA and purchased 1 ATI XPERT 98 video card
    step 3) install card and driver (this took me 5minutes, and it was the first time i ever opened a computer)
    step 4) plug in monitor and enjoy

Total cost: $29.99 + tax
    Total install time, about 15 minutes.

It's a cheap way to go and it serves its purpose for now. Eventually I would like to upgrade to a better system like echo offices have or like Nitro has...but for now this works fine.
    Good Luck and happy trading.
    Uptik2000:cool:

#24     Aug 4, 2002
  5. nitro

nitro

Hehehehehe

nitro :)

#25     Aug 4, 2002
  6. on Windows98 SE using two additional Nvidia TNT2 cards bought for circa $45 (each) on the Internet. Everything works great, although Windows98 SE is not the most stable of computer operating systems as we all know. Still, you can run additional monitors on it without major problems other than the regular ones that you are bound to get even without additional monitors.

#26     Aug 4, 2002
  7. PKJR

PKJR

wild, just curious how much is NVidia4 400? I looked at several places it is priced over $800 with some around $1000+ as compared to matrox 200mmx $300? Is the $800 price right?

Tks

#27     Aug 4, 2002
  8. wild

wild

#28     Aug 5, 2002
  9. Great name! Are you the host on E! for the "Wild on Trading"?

I would be jealous! All those chicks surrounding you at the trading desk every day....wow!

The ebay tip is a good one, just make sure the guy will take the card back if it arrives DOA. Also consider the warranty issue if any.

After looking on ebay though, they are a lot cheaper than new!

Great tip!

JK

#29     Aug 5, 2002
  10. syd697

syd697

Great replies and info so far. This is great free education. Still wondering what the difference is (if it matters), whether to use an AGP or PCI multi monitor card? Just shows how little I really know about computer details. Thanks to everyone who's responded.

#30     Aug 5, 2002