Help with multiple monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syd697, Aug 4, 2002.

1. syd697

syd697

Hello all,

I've really come to appreciate this website as I've gotten more useful info than ever could be imagined. I want to make the jump from a single monitor to multiple monitors (at least 2 or 3 total) to help with my trading. So I'm looking for some advice. I'm using a PIII 750 MHZ with 512 RAM with Win98. Here's my questions:

1. What do I need in terms of hardware? Just a multiple monitor video card? If so, what make, model, and price?

2. Suggestions on what type of monitor. Upgrade to flat-panel?

3. Any other software, hardware required to work with Win98.

Thanks in advance.

2. Couple of factors to consider. Multi monitor cards probably better solution but more expensive check out colorgraphics, appian and matorx-but more expensive than going with Win 2000 and buying 2-4 single monitor cards.

Flat panel looks nice on your desk but picture quality less crisp much like tv vs. rear projection screen. In addition expect to spend on flats over monitors by a factor of 2.5.

If you go with a multi monitor card, go for the 4 port instead coz when you get spoiled with multimonitors you will regret not getting the 4 since you'll find yourself needing at least three.

3. 1. Upgrade to Win 2000
    2. Matrox Quads have been very reliable for us, even sent a couple back to Matrox when we had a problem and they quickly replaced them...
    3. We use Flat panels - here is the key - MUST be digital, the analog only monitors are not as crisp (there is a thread just on flat panels here on elitetrader)
    4. Try and get as much "real estate" (monitors) as possible but do not get hung up on it, get what you can afford, and as your trading progresses, add to your tools....

Good Luck,

Jonathan

4. Second that... FIRST upgrade to win 2000, and start with a fresh disk. (do a low level format) Don't try to upgrade from 98.

I use 2 matrox G400 (2 ports/card), one agp, one pci. They wotk great with driver version 5.72.21.0.

I had trouble with the latest driver they had.

5. syd697

syd697

Thanks for the replies so far. It seems that the Matrox brand has some good options for me. I'd like to stick with win98 as they have cards compatible with win98. Any thoughts on the Matrox Millenium G450 series? Unfortunately there are different levels to the G450, so I still need to sift through what I actually need.

After I decide on a card and install it, is it usually smooth sailing at that point or is there more internal configuratons to do?

Thanks again everyone.

6. The key word is Quad on the Matrox cards. That way I only have one card, one driver. No conflicts.

Also consider upgrading to Win 2000, it will seem so much more stable compared to Win 98...IMHO.

Good Luck!

Jonathan

7. syd697

syd697

JWKirkland,

Thanks for the info. I'm very new at this so can you explain the "quad" specs that you refer to. Where in the specs or the features of the video card should I look for the word "quad"? Any recent articles or magazines that would help with this (if you follow any)

Much appreciated.

8. syd697

syd697

Would it be better to buy 2 Matrox G450 Dual cards instead of 1 G200 MMS Quad? Seems to make more sense financially. Do I want to use PCI or AGP?

Thanks all.

9. I cannot answer that, we use the Quads.

#10     Aug 4, 2002