help with backtesting software please

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by madmax98, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Hello everyone, i'm looking fr a software that enables me to backtest my strategies without having to learn the programming language, sort of drag and drop- fill in the blanks software .
    So please if you have experienced or came across one let me know, thnx in advance.

2. YoungOne

YoungOne

Wealth Lab does this and they have a trial. Best of luck to you.

3. thnx man, any other suggestions?

4. i tried wealth lab and it didn't work as i wanted it to, for example when i put in the conditions it excuted trades as any of them existed when i wanted all conditions to be met so i don't think it would work for a strategy that has many indicators in it, according to my experience anyway.

6. wow, 1100 bucks, well it looks good but i won't even try it any further because there is no use if i won't buy it.

7. i usually just read the posts, but couldn't help but respond. even though a drag and drop is easy, if you are testing use a spreadsheet.

build one indicator at a time. see how they interact and why. learn and understand what makes them move. and you just may get an understanding of what is really going on.

and one more thing...i don't use indicators, but if each one you use is not plotted on a different piece of information, you are spinning your wheels.

i know this may sound like a broken record, but i blew through $10k before it sunk in. if you get down to brass tacks, there are only three things you need to worry about.

Price, Volume, and Time

8. well, thnx for the advice. As for me, i don't use indicators by themselves but i use a combination of things and for m to take a position a stock has to meet a criteria, so this is why i was wondering if i can include that criteria in some kind of software to tweak it a little.

9. it looks like a good trading system. thnx for taking the time to help me which you didn't have to do but obviously you don't mind or don't have anything to do but be an idiot on the internet.

#10     Jun 20, 2007