Help with Automatic Fast User Switch in Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by InTheZone, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Hi All,

I just picked up a new machine running Windows XP Pro.

I'm finding that after some amount of idle time (30 minutes or so), the system will automatically go to the Welcome screen where you can select a new user to log in to.

The previous user however is still logged in, and the programs are still running.

I'm finding this automatic switch to the Welcome screen a bit annoying, as I will have to monitor my PC to make sure that it doesn't flip to the Welcome screen. Otherwise the audible alerts might not be heard if they are triggered when the computer is on the Welcom screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions here?

I usually am logged in as a system administrator (since I'm the only one who uses the PC), and fast user switching is active.

Thanks.

-- ITZ

2. sherif24

sherif24

I use XP Home, but I'll assume the fix is similar...

If you go to the Display function in the Control Panel, then to the Screen Saver tab...there's a box in there that says 'On resume, display Welcome screen'

It sounds like you have that box checked, so that when the machine sleeps it goes to the Welcome screen when it wakes up.

Of course, you can tell it not to ever sleep in the first place, as an alternate fix...

3. Hi Sheriff,

Thanks for the reply.

On Win XP Pro, I don' t have the same option as you. It says: "On resume, password protect".

Also, the power mode setting doesn't allow the computer to go to sleep.

I've called up Dell's Technical Support, and they too do not have an idea as to what is going on here and didn't have a suggested fix.

-- ITZ

4. sherif24

sherif24

Hmm that's weird. The only other thing I could think of is just to disable the welcome screen in you User Accounts control panel (again, I don't know if XP Pro has this possibility). You said you are the only user right? So it seems like fast user switching isn't something you need anyway.

But I would think that Dell support would have thought of that...not to overestimate their abilities though...

I checked out the XP website but couldn't find anything...maybe the best would be just to contact Microsoft.

Well good luck.

5. I tried to contact Microsoft, but because the Windows XP is an OEM license, Dell is suppose to provide the support. The only other option is to pay up for support, and I didn't want to do that right now.

I'm thinking that it may be the fast user switching, or it may be a default that if you are logged on as an administrator that is idle, the system pops out to the welcome screen.

I actually paid up for the higher level of service thru Dell. Although they are Microsoft certified, they use the same tools that we have access to in solving problems. Even they do not have direct contact with Microsoft for questions.

Thanks for your help.

-- ITZ