Help Win2K - Pasting Files Not Working

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by TriPack, Sep 18, 2003.

1. I just installed Win2K on a new harddrive on a computer that had a hard drive failure. I can connect on my LAN to copy files, but when I try to paste them within Windows Explorer, paste is always blanked out. I can't figure out what's going on. I rebooted one time and I was able to copy files, edit files but for some reason this isn't working. If anyone knows off the top of their head what might be done to fix this (drive C is shared) I'd appreciate it. If someone knows a Win2K forum I might ask about this I'd appreciate a link.

Thanks,

2. Why are you trying to "paste" files? Just drag the files from one directory window to another and they'll be copied. No pasting operation involved.

3. This might be a stupid suggestion but what the hay: instead of looking for paste in the menu option just use CTRL V. Sorry for the lame response (i bet you tried that already...lol)

4. chisel

chisel

Try the newsgroup alt.os.windows2000

5. balda

balda

this is how recent virus was starting.

Paste function wouldn't work.

6. Thanks for the replies. Neither ctrl-v nor drag drop work. For drag-drop, when I click on the file Win Explorer doesn't even make an attempt to move it - as if it doesn't even support this type of thing at all as on the other computers.

Thanks for the newsgroup, I'll check it out.

FWIW, I just managed to copy the files from another computer to this one. Then I went to this computer, created a shortcut to one of the files, and couldn't move the shortcut to where I wanted to put it. :) I tried copy from dos and that worked so that's something at least.

7. That was it. I hadn't even signed on the internet with this machine yet. I ran the patch on my whole network the week before, but neglected this one machine. I'm rescanning every computer for traces of the worm now. So far only the new install seems to be infected...

Thanks for the heads up!

8. As it turns out I hooked up my sister's computer to the network within the last week. Her computer must have already had the worm and then infected the other machine. The network is behind a router which should effectively block this from coming in from the outside. I guess that's why they call it a Trojan horse virus. She didn't know what a Windows update was. :p