Help! video cards for 6 monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bandit77, Jan 22, 2007.

1. I've placed the order on my monitors today. now the video cards are a problem.

I have 1 PCI-express x16 slot, 3 regular PCI slots, 1 PCIe x4 slot, and 1 PCIe x1 slot.

Anyone know how I can get 6 monitors to work? 1 monitor is the dell 30". so I will need the x16 slot for the video card to drive the 30. it will have 2 DVI's, so that takes care of the big monitor and 1 small one.

Now I need to connect 4 more monitors. anyone know the best solution to connect those 4? Thanks

2. 2 Matrox G400 PCI cards. They can be had for less than $10 on ebay used. Work like a charm.

3. Thanks Mike. Will having 2 matrox PCI's conflict with an Nvidia or ATI x16 card?

4. You get what you pay for....those old cards don't work as well, and will certainly slow down your system. I recently upgraded mys systems with a couple of Nvida cards, 7900's, and they work really well...and my system performance was improved dramatically.

You pay for quality once!

5. I will buy an NVDA 7600 as the main card on the x16 slot. how do I get more monitors without slowing down the the NVDA card? will having Matrox PCI cards conlict with and slow down the main NVDA card?

6. gnome

gnome

Suggest either:

1. Used Nvidia Quadro NVS 400 PCI Quad... about $100-$125 on eBay, or

2. 2, Nvidia Quadro NVS 280 PCI dualheads.

#10     Jan 22, 2007