Help to build 6-8 Monitor trading PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philipjb, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Seems there are MANY more complaints about ATI cards, especially when running >2 monitors, than Nvidia.

Your Radeon choices are more than "powerful enough" for trading.... but I don't know how they'd be running a 4-monitor desktop.

ATI was never much of a player in the "multi-monitor, multi-video card" market.. they've always been primarily in the gamer market. A few years back, ATI brought out the FirePro line of cards to compete with Nvidia NVS.

#51     Mar 5, 2013
  2. ofthomas

ofthomas

any card supporting more than one output to DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D/I is more than suitable for trading... the question you should be asking yourself is what type of connectors do your monitors have? start with that first... that is what really matters to you... as to not liking NVIDIA... unless there are technical reasons that you can articulate as to why, I would just find whatever you can fit within your budget that will address your number of monitors.. if Nvidia or ATI or Matrox, it means little... some will have quirks, others wont.. I deal mostly with Nvidia/Matrox... never did with ATI...

#52     Mar 5, 2013
  3. I see.
    I do have HDMI, DVI connectors on the monitors which i am looking to buy.

Which would you recommend me to go with whcih GPU.
    Usually what has to be seen when purchasing a GPU.. a shop guy told me do not go mostly on 2GB or 1 GB GPU.. sometimes the clock speed etc..etc.. is important to be seen in GPU

Please advise.

#53     Mar 5, 2013
  4. ofthomas

ofthomas

bud, unless you are doing modeling (graphic design, cad, architecture, texture mapping, animation, etc.) none of that matters to you... your main concern should be how many monitors you want, what connectors on those monitors.. and then based on that pick a video card..

if you want to get fancy... then you should think if your platform will take advantage of using the cores on that GPU, if not.. then just get something reliable that will support your number of monitors... if you really want 8.. then you need two cards each supporting 4 or a single card with 8(which will cost you almost as much but gives you a single point of failure)...and you should be looking at the LGA2011 (i7-3930K) to take advantage of the bandwidth on those x16 cards...

and if I was you, I would get DisplayPort panels... that is the direction going forward... but that is just my opinion..

#54     Mar 5, 2013
  5. Excellent Advises.

Would you recommend me any 24 inch LED monitor model ?

Also i have now finalized

Processor, MotherBoard, SSD, HDD, Ram, Power Supply.. what else is left.. what kind of casing should i go for?

#55     Mar 5, 2013
  6. Mr_You

Mr_You

People seem to really like the Dell IPS monitors for the price and flexbility of being positioned in portrait (vertical) or landscape (horizontal) mode.

Also I think the AMD FirePro 2460 is a good bang for buck, quiet and cool, 4 display card. This card along with its Eyefinity (multi-display technology) was made specifically for traders/financial institutions.

#56     Mar 5, 2013
  7. ofthomas

ofthomas

d00d... you killing me... asking for a recommendation without requirements is like asking me to cook and not telling me what you like to eat...

so here is generic info..

how good are your eyes? how much attention to detail do you pay? what is your trading style? are you color blind?

yes, all those things matter.. because you will be staring at the screen for a long, long time...

resolution of the screen will be based on your preferences... if you are going to rotate the screen, then you need 1920x1200... I would prefer 1600x1200, and not rotate, if I was doing 6-8 monitors... another factor that is important is the response time... lower will be better (assuming you are day trading and need it, otherwise... makes no difference)...

as to vendors... HP/LG/DELL/Viewsonic/Samsung... in that order for me... and I mean the professional line for both HP and DELL...

now, in terms of preference... if I had to have lots of monitors.. 6 to 8.. I would pick NEC or DELL 20.1" (1600x1200)... but what I discovered is that my style of trading doesnt require me to have that many monitors... so I have right now... 2xZR2740w's from HP ... they do all I need for me... take a look.. even for my day trading... again, it comes down to preferences..

• 282.jpg
      File size:
      523.3 KB
      Views:
    #57     Mar 5, 2013

8. Frankly i am looking for more high end graphics card..
    So one monitor i can play a game or movie.. in my free time during not trading..

Recommend any ?

#58     Mar 5, 2013
  9. Mr_You

Mr_You

If you're Intel CPU has an HD4000 iGPU then maybe leave a PCI slot open in case the iGPU isn't good enough for you. Then later you could decide which 3D GPU you might consider.

But to answer your question, a FirePro W600 or W7000 might do all you want.

EDIT: Added W7000.

#59     Mar 5, 2013
  10. Are these 20 inch LED monitors?
    Looks good..

I am looking at Asus VE247H.. it got 2 Ms response time.. i checked out many others.. didnt find such quick ms response time.. mostly 5 MS..

Thanks again for kind and detailed advises.. you are surely helping me out alot.. and my apologies for not being straight to what i really require..

#60     Mar 5, 2013