Help to build 6-8 Monitor trading PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philipjb, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Hate to do this because you seem somewhat competent... but you're also an ASS about it. ON IGNORE!!

#21     Feb 26, 2013
  2. ofthomas

ofthomas

LMAO, I wasn't the one that started with the insults, and let's keep in mind that you compared me to your wife, I didnt even know you were married until you mentioned that... and further... I am not the one acting like a child who is unable to support or defend their point of view, or even better, acknowledge when their opinion might have been incorrect... the way I see it, adults are able to discuss their differences and acknowledge when they are incorrect in their assumptions...

in any event, not sure how I am being an ASS, specially given I am still waiting for you to educate me on how I disrespected your opinion when I asked you a while back .... but feel free to put me on ignore... I am not offended by it in any way.

lastly, to the OP... my apologies for @Scataphagos and I hijacking your thread...

#22     Feb 26, 2013
  3. ofthomas

ofthomas

getting back to the OP topic.. when deciding which CPU to go for, if you know what your application workload characteristics are like (single thread vs. multithread) you can use this benchmark as a baseline to help you choose..

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

#23     Feb 26, 2013
  4. both of you guys know your shit...no need to try to one up each other

#24     Feb 26, 2013
  5. Ok,

By the posts, i have understood

1) Intel i7 processor.. which one 3700 or other?
    2) Asus motherboard is good? or something else. what model.. so i can write down in my notes, so i know which one to go for
    3) Ram - which brand and size. i was thinking 16 GB.. i just do not want to go again for ram.. was looking for something fast, and does not jams my PC.. my laptop sometimes gets stuck when market moves very fast.
    4) SSD - which brand and GB?
    5) HDD - which brand and GB?
    6) Graphics Card - Which brand and model? Does one Graphic Card has supporting capabilities of 4 Monitors? or i would need to fix 2 Graphics Card with 2 monitors capability each?
    7) Monitor Resolution? SizE? i am thinking to go for 24 inch LED monitor..
    8) What else is missing..

#25     Feb 26, 2013
  6. NoBias

NoBias

Did you read my post above, I believe I pretty much answered your questions.

1, i5 3570K is sufficient, if you Want i7 go for it, just make sure socket same as Mobo
    2, I have installed 6+ ASUS Mobo's over past couple years, zero failure all still running. So yes imho.
    3, 16gb is fine, brand? compare on newegg, crucial, kingston, etc... just confirm compatability with mobo
    4, Samsung 840 120gb
    5, Western Digital Green Drive - Size depends on requirements 500gb or multiple 2T's - if a trading system doesn't require much
    6, again up to you, I prefer Nvidia/EVGA, my charting system is using GT 430's,[2 ea. dual DVI output = 4 monitors] you should compare the 400, 500, 600 series.
    [you want to drive more than 4 monitors suggest using two computers] the cost of Quad cards is relatively high.
    7, Resolution, how much do you respect your eyes. I prefer 30" 2560x1600, get a lot of information on one monitor, no squinting. 24"-27" 1080p are fine for many.
    8, Case & power supply, but I addressed that as well.

Suggest you print the two threads on the subject, and redact until you have all the pertinent information. Google subject matter you are unclear on. Create your list of components and options.

Not much else for anyone to say, we are just repeating ourselves.

Good luck

edit: parallel thread for reference

#26     Feb 26, 2013

7. Can you advise me which model of motherboard should i go for.?

#27     Feb 27, 2013
  8. NoBias

NoBias

Apparently the link in the previous post was broken

This was the last Mobo I purchased and am very pleased with it . Includes a nice AI suite, easy to use Bios update, temp volt monitor, etc... The AI suite may be included in all ASUS higher end boards. Was just an FYI.

[Sabertooth Z77] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131821
    [If building a system for myself today would get it and an i5 3570[K] / 16gb ram -- the board accepts i7 also

Mobo w/8gb ram included http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131853
    [worth considering, depending on budget and intended installed ram]

Suggest you compare the current versions specs and any deals at the moment. See if any of the higher priced board's features interest you, or lower priced board adequate. All a matter of budget.

LGA 1155 Z77 mobo's http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Also check the Deal sites for component deals, always overlooked, even though Newegg is hard to beat, occasionally you can find some sizzling deals. [Just read carefully what you are buying]

http://bensbargains.net/ Preferred
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/
    http://www.logicbuy.com/

#28     Feb 27, 2013
  9. Good way to pick a mobo...

Go to Newegg.com. Find a mobo with the features you want in your price range, then read the comments from reviewers... especially the negative ones. If people buy something they like, they like to tell it. If they don't, they're quick to bitch.

Then, you can do a Froogle search and see if it's offered at a lower price or with rebate elsewhere.... like Amazon, Buy.com, MicroCenter, etc.

If you shop carefully and are not in a hurry so that you can be patient while waiting for deals/rebates, you can save a few Shekels.

Any name brand with good overall reviews will likely serve well.

FWIW.... I'm not a fan of BYO. I understand there is some sense of accomplishment from BYO.. and you MIGHT even save $100 or so.... but there are a few downsides. The biggest one IMV is that if you have problems, you have to deal with each component maker's warranty and tech support separately.... not to mention the fact that when you do have problems, you initially don't even know which component is the culprit. (Let's say you get a failure... a black screen.... is it the mobo, is it RAM, is it the PSU? Who do you call?) So... how much money is your time worth? To me, it's not worth the effort to BYO when good deals and much better technical support can be had at Dell, HP, Lenovo. And when you have a problem, you know the one place to call to check out one possibility after another until your find the cause. I might do a BYO for the heck/fun/knowledge of it... but definitely not on any important machine I use for trading.

#29     Feb 27, 2013
  10. Actually i am not in USA or Europe.. so i dont think if rebates/deals would help me in a way..

Usually for I7 processor.. which Mobo is good to go for..

#30     Feb 27, 2013