Help to build 6-8 Monitor trading PC.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by philipjb, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Yes i may get brand new monitors.. its better i believe due to warranty

Which one you think is best, and screen resolution i should go for?
    Screen size etc? Brand?
    LED i think is best.

#11     Feb 26, 2013
  2. 1. The onboard video capabilities of new CPUs cloud the issue a bit. But traditionally, only el-cheapo mobos had onboard video chip... in an attempt to meet a price point by eliminating the need for a dedicated video card.

2. I didn't "forget to mention". The "2 x16 PCIE slots" suggestion is not primarily about the ability to run 2 quad-port cards. (You SHOULD be able to run dual quad-port video cards from el-cheapo mobos.. they have adequate slots... but I've seen computers with el-cheapo mobos fail to run even a single quad-port card... and fail to boot if there was a video card mounted in the x1 slot... regardless of whether another card was in the x16 slot. "El-cheapo" also usually means reduced capability because the makers also don't bother to enable all the capabilities they could in the BIOS.) It's that el-cheapo mobos DON'T have 2 x16 slots.. and likely that any mobo with 2 or more x16 slots and no onboard video chip is an adequate step up in quality.

BTW... Dell markets OptiPlex and Precision both as "business class"... but the OptiPlex has a much lesser mobo for too much cost.

#12     Feb 26, 2013
  3. ofthomas

ofthomas

that is up to your requirements... I prefer HP ZR(professional line) or DELL UltraSHARP... not "cheap" but will last you 3+ years... otherwise, I like LG and Samsungs... though the samsungs are a bit of a pain to get a stand for... and I would prefer IPS... and yes LED... size and res is up to you given that you are the one who will look at them 24x7... so go to a store and check them out and buy online.

#13     Feb 26, 2013
  4. NoBias

NoBias

So many variables, difficult to "configure" a system for you. Do you really need an i7 or just WANT an i7. My i5 systems with SSD's and 8gb ram are more than sufficient for my discretionary trading. I built an i7 for gaming, but for trading I can't tell the difference.

It is really a matter of preference, you need to decide exactly what you want in addition to just the "specs".

I have one system dedicated to media which uses an inexpensive coolmaster case, very heavy but great cooling and I love the external tray on top.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119259

My previous post, showed my mfg preferences. to follow a few examples.

Case Lian or coolmaster or what fits YOUR needs???
    Corsair ~650 watt gold/bronze
    Motherboard - Asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16813131821
    CPU i5-3570[K]
    8gb Ram
    SSD Samsung 840 [120gb] decent deal at moment http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188
    HDD Western Digital
    Video Cards Nvidia Geforce GT/GTS-400-500-600 series [*EVGA*/PNY/MSI/Asus]

You should just study the links, google some reviews and what all the specs mean, i.e. memory and memory interface on video cards. Trading only doesn't require expensive cards. dual output GT 430's are driving my 30" monitors just fine.

But I wouldn't rush into buying components tomorrow until you have done your homework. By then it should be quite evident which components you need [and don't need]. If you take your time, you can take advantage of many deals/discounts on quality components. Just need to be vigilant and know what you are buying.

At my summer home, I have an old Dell T-3400 and a dedicated i5 blah, blah trading system which I built... guess what? they both work just fine for discretionary trading. We have more Wants than needs...

#14     Feb 26, 2013
  5. T3400 was a terrific machine for the money. Sometimes Dell Outlet would have things apparently mispriced. I once bought a T3400 from Outlet for $330. It was a base model, but still....

#15     Feb 26, 2013
  6. NoBias

NoBias

It sure was, just like a timex watch... Takes a licking and keeps on ticking... just noticed, I have a T-3400 in the bedroom driving the samsung 42" HDTV.... I have way too many computers... lol

#16     Feb 26, 2013
  7. ofthomas

ofthomas

video has been onboard CPU's for years now, that tradition ceased to exist long ago...

rather than to continue supporting the argument of what number of x16 slots determines quality of a mobo... I will make it simple for everyone else..

picking a mobo with 2 x16, unless you are using X58/X79 or socket 1366/2011, wont make any difference to you and it is not indicative of quality... those cards will downgrade to x8 on the x16 slot if both are in use, or even if you pick the second slot... so while your interface will be x16, the number of channels in use will be half if you use 2 video cards...

I will repeat again... number of slots has nothing to do with quality... after all, 2 x16 are achieved with an nvidia chip switching or by downgrading... so not sure how complexity and higher cost translates to "quality"... but to each its own... also, not to mention, you wont be able to use PCI3 if you are not X79, yet have 2 x16's...

lastly, and this is an opinion, video is pretty much the only thing that we, as retail, would benefit from using all 16 lanes... most of the things you will benefit from will be x4 or x8... heck, my OCZ PCIe SSD's are x4's... and so are my RAID controllers... so you get my point... hopefully...

know your requirements first, and then find the tech that meets those requirements by understanding the tech...

#17     Feb 26, 2013
  8. ofthomas

ofthomas

exactly, that's what everyone forgets... :)

#18     Feb 26, 2013
  9. Good grief, man.. are you dense?

It (apparently) costs more money to build a better quality mobo with 2, x16 slots than it does to make the ubiquitous "el-cheapo mobo with 1, x16, 1, x1, and 2 PCI slots + onboard video chip".

That a mobo has 2, x16 slots likely means it's better quality than a "el-cheapo"... that's been my point all along on this matter.

You argue like my wife. PLEASE STOP!

#19     Feb 26, 2013
  10. ofthomas

ofthomas

perhaps you should listen more to your wife, you might see how you are incorrect in your assumptions .... you align higher cost with quality, which is utterly wrong... not only that, you argue from opinions without understanding the technology, which is why I didn't waste my time to refute your point focusing on the "cost = quality" argument but rather on the technology ... so those trying to make a decision didn't take an opinion or assumption as a fact but rather understood what matters about the tech and made that decision on their own...

so I see your point, even if incorrectly assumed, but you are failing to see how your point/argument is flawed in itself... which I find interesting...

but to each its own... this is now getting boring... I let those reading decide what they find of value on what has been stated and decide themselves what will meet their needs given the available tech.

#20     Feb 26, 2013