Help! These breakouts are killing me

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Matt Houston, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ==============
    Matt;
    sounds like you are upset because you violated your trading plan,
    & that was understandable with Greece on a slippery slope down.

$28 area was a resistance on 1 year candlecharts,
    many were selling for 3 days before that. I like swing trading good uptrends & good downtrends.

But i also agree with your trendlines;
    which show more of a sideways slop trend. So any 1 year resistance is a good place to exit/especially with earnings call, in my plan:cool:

Backtest all you want , you may find some wisdom there;
    but even with profitable discipline, you are almost always going to close a position early or late.

So not because of Greece, but so many price reasons to close that MSFT trade/investment early.

#101     Feb 8, 2012
  2. Great advice, but tough to implement:
    You want to be closing out profitable positions LATE (some give-back) and losing positions EARLY (prevent even more losses).
    Do the reverse, and the market will take you out of the trading business in no time flat.

#102     Feb 9, 2012
  3. =================
    FEB, 2012 AD[All data]

I see you points and agree with them.
    It may never get easy, but it surely can get easier;
    with enough years work.

So much money has been made with your/my comments, & low probability trend trading.I like to study high probability trend trading also, not that that's the most profitable way to trade.

MSFT looked/looks like a sell @ $28 area;
    on most all time frames, except the longest /investor time frame.,
    & still looks like a sell.If i missed a 10% last part of the move;
    thats just part of trend-trading/investing.I can find better probability longs; trading/investing.

Looked on my MSFT paper charts, all data[AD];
    its still an uptrend . But while its a great stock/leader/uptrend ;
    QQQ, AAPL ,UGA[unleaded gas]are very , very, very extended[monthly, weekly, daily.

Silver, SLV did go up 7 days in a row, so MSFT could uptick a tad or 2 to more.:D LOL

#103     Feb 15, 2012