Help!!!System Meltdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DATTrader, May 29, 2002.

1. I run win 2000 professional and everything was working great. All of a sudden I get this whacked out blue screen message:
    --------------------------------------
    xxx STOP: 0x0000001 (0x0000005,0x0000002,0x000000,0xEC6CAB3E
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Address EC6CAB3E Base at EC6C8000 DateStamp 3a037343 -uhcd.sys

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory
    ---------------------------------------

Then the PC just sits there doing nothing and I have to hit the on/off to reboot. WHen I reboot it wants to do a system check and seems to boot up OK after that, but then all of a sudden out of nowhere after several minutes of running fine, it goes back to the above blue screen lock with the same message. ANy ideas on what the hell is going on?

2. Sounds like a bad memory chip or a VGA problem. Change anything lately?

3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I had the exact same thing happen to me about 6 months ago. The problem, for me at least, ended up being a bad stick of memory.

I removed ALL the memory I had in that machine and then installed 512 MB of new memory, and everything has been fine from that point forward.

4. Tom Frey

Tom Frey

this can not be generally answered, but first I would suggest to look whether it locks up when specific programs, or background processes start. To me it sounds like your RAM is damaged. If you got more then one ram block take one out and look whether the failure still occurs, if so switch the block.
    Next step would be to look whether your CPU is getting too hot, check whether your fan is still running.
    If none of these is the case it's most likely a software error and a reinstall would be best

5. Just what I wanted to hear! Seriously thanks for the insights so far -I will start pulling RAM chips out and see what happens. Fan seems to be working fine and I don't note that it occurs when using any specific program. THough now that I think about it, it first happened when I was uninstalling a bunch of software crap I never use, and right after I got a corrupted file message relating to a "napster-like" program I had downloaded but never really used. It was right after that that I got the first blue screen error message.

6. potrader

potrader

We used to call it the blue screen of death!

7. tom_p

tom_p

I experienced the same "screen of death" about 3 months ago for no rhyme or reason. I did nothing at the time, and thankfully it hasn't retur

8. lundy

lundy

if u can, go back to an older registry version

i think you can use scan reg to do it. thats fixed many a blue screen for me.

9. I would but I am a windows idiot and have no idea what that means or how to do it unfortunately. I will see if I can find someone I know who can.

Meanwhile I took a screen cap of my 'processes' tab from Task Manager immediately after a re-boot with no applications running other than the screencap program.....does this tell anyone anything? What the hell is 'stackdump.exe'? Seems like a lot of shit running right off of a cold boot??

Also, the box has now started re-booting itself...that is I am up and running, typing, etc and all of a sudden its like I hit ctrl-alt-del and the system is rebooting. It has done that about 3 times now in the past 2 hours. Strange shit indeed.

10. chuv

chuv

Just came up with this:

Wouldn't it be funny to use "blue screen" snapshot as a screensaver to scare someone sh*tless while they are in the middle of something very important on their comp? :)

#10     May 29, 2002