Help Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NUTSNEAL, May 21, 2008.

1. Help Please

I am running windows 2000 pro on a system. I was having problems after a recent windows update, so I uninstalled it.

Now when I boot up windows hangs up at the windows 2000 logo screen.

I have used my computer recovery disk to reinstall windows 2000 but I get the same result.

I reformated the hard drive and reinstalled windows 2000 from a different windows 2000 pro disk. Same result.

Can some one tell me how to format the hard drive making sure I also remove any boot records. I can boot in safe mode, but then
    I am unable to run any of the registry repair disks I have.

Is this a registry or a boot record problem?

Can anyone tell me how zap this thing?

Help Please!!!!

Nutsneal

2. BUMP

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

3. i don't know the answer, but you may want to carefully investigate your BIOS settings. the computer could be searching for the wrong drive. be careful fooling around with any of these settings though because you could mess it up worse.

4. NUTSNEAL, hope your problem is solved. If yes, then please post the solution for the benefit of us.

If not, please try to contact "gnome", who is a member here. Have read that he/she :)p) is an expert in these matters.

Try to PM him/her, might help or ask him/her specifically on those threads where he is active as many people need his help. :)

All the Best! :)

5. gnome

gnome

I don't know what the problem is either. But if you want to be sure the MBR has been erased, mount your hard drive in a machine as a second drive and run a low level format on it. Hopefully that will give you a clean slate.

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2006.04.12-HDD-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

BTW... For those wishing to remove Vista to run WinXP, this LLF tool will work.

6. NUTSNEAL, have you found out the solution? If yes, please let us know. Thanks gnome for your suggestions, hope they helped NUTSNEAL out. :)

7. nutseal, what 'update' are you referring to ?
    I don't 'update windows' and as far as I know
    there's only sp4, but -
    http://www.cyberanswers.org/forum/news-announcements/400-w2k-update-rollup.html
    read yesterday but it might have been for xp, a 'rollup' had 6 ! 6 ! 'known bugs' which is
    a marvellous effort from ms considering the 'rollup' is supposedly fixing fixes from previous
    fixes

'go-backs' aren't reliable and reinstalls load over the
    previous version without formatting
    w2k can't be formatted from within os unlike w98
    I use the free: http://www.killdisk.com/ but only do 1%
    which is enough to not start w2k
    then startup/load bootdisks and the new w2k install
    formats the drive, then install sp4 - only

8. sg20

sg20

Unplug the computer, remove CMOS battery for five minutes and then reinstall windows. The BIOS was either corrupted or you are using two hard drives, with the wrong jumper, which caused confusion during boot; temporarily remove the secondary drive if you have two.

sg20

9. Thanks Everyone

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I have been out of town.

I am now fixed, up and running fine now.

I found one of my old Windows 98 boot up CD with CD drivers.

This allowed me to boot in Windows 98. But then I got a "Windows protection error while initializing device NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification). I had to download and install Windows 98 Q312108 update.

This allowed me to boot up in Windows 98 and then do a reformat with the MBR (Master Boot Record) switch.

Once I performed this leve of reformat, I was able to do a fresh install of Windows 2000 PRO sp4.

I really think my actual problem was a corrupted driver. I kept hanging up at the Windows 2000 logo during the process of the drivers loading. Since I was able to boot up in safe mode, I really believe I just had a driver problem.

I would like to thank gnome and everyone for their help.

That is one of the great things about this site.

Thanks everyone.

Nutsneal

#10     Jun 9, 2008