help me with an options trade

Discussion in 'Options' started by BootyShorts, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Well, if I am understanding everything correctly, from the information you posted:

1) In the account, you are long 100 shares of Thompson Creek Metals.

2) In the account, you own 1 October 11 put which gives you the right to sell 100 shares of Thompson Creek Metals at 11.

3) Thompson Creek Metals, symbol "TC" is currently trading around 13.26.

Your action: Do nothing

(However, it's best to call the broker to learn more about this and learn why someone has the "power" to do transactions in your mother's account.)

If TC is above the strike, your option will expire worthless.

If TC is below the strike, there is a good chance the put will be exercised and you will sell the 100 shares at 11.

I hope this makes sense.

AZD

#11     Oct 14, 2009
  2. erol

erol

30minutes!!

Thanks, I was thinking of switching to questrade....

Good luck w the txn.

#12     Oct 14, 2009
  3. Makes perfect sense. She bought 100 shares at around 5 dollars so I guess that person gave her protection at 11.

How do I trade for 3 years and not know this stuff :p

30 minutes... I only have so many daytime minutes! And then I realized that if I did get through they probably wouldn't talk to me since I'm not the account holder.

#13     Oct 14, 2009
  4. It is the Options Fairy. Once in a blue moon she will go and decide to buy protection for someones long position :)

#14     Oct 14, 2009
  5. Hopefully the Options Fairy is alive and well and has moved on to saving other people's accounts from themselves :)

#15     Oct 16, 2009
  6. Hester

Hester

lol. That would be cool. Put a tooth under your pillow and you get protection for some of your long positions.

#16     Oct 16, 2009