Help me understand.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by smithfix, Dec 6, 2009.

1. smithfix

smithfix

"not necessarily hyper inflation but inflation. the only reason they hyper inflation in germany was so they could pay war reparations back print more money off to fund repayments."
    Like our dewbt to china?

#11     Dec 9, 2009
  2. smithfix

smithfix

I rest my case. I think I'll buy more ammo, silver and rice.
    Pleease keep it quiet I want the fools to believe the "Recovery" has arrived with the part time Christmas jobs so I have a little more time.

#12     Dec 9, 2009
  3. Rice? How are you going to get the energy to boil the water to cook it? Do you have a wood stove? I suggest canned legumes with long shelf life. They're precooked ;)

#13     Dec 9, 2009
  4. smithfix

smithfix

I had an extra propane tank brought in last year. I can run a full year without refilling.
    All my preps are things we will need regardless.
    As for silver, has anyone looked at the dollar index lately? Now lok at silver. BOY DO I LOVE EBAY!
    For your consideration:
    http://inflation.us/unemploymentdeclineillusion.html

I am just an old Wood Butcher (carpenter) but the arguments presented make a lot more sense than "Trust me, I'm from the Government and I'm here to help."

Good luck, Chuck Smith (smithfix)

#14     Dec 9, 2009
  5. A man paying for lunch, hyperinflation style. This is real.

[​IMG]

Yes those are stacks of money.

Actual printed money. Are we on our way?

[​IMG]

#15     Dec 9, 2009
  6. What's your point about DX and Silver? And btw, I don't see very good deals on ebay for silver eagles, maybe I'm not looking hard enough. APMEX still beats what I see, plus the peace of mind of no fakes.

#16     Dec 9, 2009
  7. As long as you can deliver 2000 of these anywhere on the planet faster than Domino's can deliver their pizzas, there won't be a problem of hyperinflation. Someone will always want your dollars - because their economies are not necessarily better than yours and there is always a chance that theirs will be a lot worse should any of these devices happened to land on their front doors.

The point is not to get you to build any more bunkers, Smith, but to illustrate the difference between the US and Zimbabwe or even post war Germany. None of those countries could control their military might and technological skills, while the US is unparallel in those areas. That is also why we should spend, spend and spend some more on military research, science, technology research and education because those are not the areas that are causing the US budget deficits, but rather they are the areas that will offer the solutions.

[​IMG]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NNcQX033V_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NNcQX033V_M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

#17     Dec 9, 2009
  8. I really hate to say it, but I believe you are exactly right.

#18     Dec 9, 2009
  9. MZM + Credit = far more appropriate measure of money supply than you'd think. Both are on the ropes. America has been riding a 50-year-long credit wave that began to crash in early 2000's. That's the difference. Expansionary monetary policy has to outstrip credit destruction rates.

You'll have your inflation once credit begins flowing again, but it's a slow process. That's the point of the bailout...to free up bank balance sheets of illiquid, nonperforming assets and replace them with lots of performing, current assets. Once the banks are capitalized properly, they'll slowly relax credit standards and begin to lend again. They'll benefit from a steep yield curve and lever America to the gills once again. At this point, the Fed really has no other choice, this has been the economic model for decades now.

Once a crisis point is reached, implement automatic stabilizers...but leave them in place for extended periods. Do everything you can to help financial institutions capitalize themselves, and when they're in decent shape let them know that they had better start lending, b/c you're one year out from raising rates. Banks will rush to jam cheap capital down the throats of oblivious consumers while the profit margin is still very high, and from this...the next credit wave/economic upturn/house-flipping-party will begin. After Fed tightens to a point where the lending profit margin is slim, i.e. flatter yield curve & consumers unwilling to borrow at punitive rates, the banks will start to wind down lending operations, house flipping orgies will end, daytraders will perish, and Rick Santelli will shake his head with a sense of impending credit market doom as the Ted Spread rockets to the moon. Some type of panic will occur, but not before people, once again, begin wearing their wealth on their necks, wrists, and grillz. The panic will mark the apex of the next economic crest. At this point, you've got to watch credit supply and demand.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

#19     Dec 9, 2009
  10. smithfix

smithfix

Wow, so many irrelivant points.
    The one about the nukes is way over my head. What is the point? Even if we didn't have a Pres who bows to EVERY tin pot tyrant or ROYAL, what would nukes do to make a destroyed dollar valuable. It is a FEDERAL RESERVE NOTE. it's value is only in the trust you or I have in its ability to transfer wealth and hold that value in the interum. I for one trust it not at all to hold value. Stimulus III is coming. Speed up the printing press! Wow I really want to hold this piece of paper while TRILLIONS more are printed. But that is just me.
    On the silver I am buying "junk" silver. Not worth "faking" as the denominations are small. Eagles have a premium added I won't pay and I will not accept something I don't recognize- Tea Party silver coins ect.
    If I had the money to buy enough gold I might concider some for large denomination savings but I am more comfortable with my conclution that folks will very quickly learn about the value of silver (pre-64) coins WHEN the dollars true value is realized by those who couldn't today tell you the name of the Fed Chairman or for that matter if the "Fed" is a Federal Agency.
    Fact is only the ignorance of the American public gives the Dollar any value it is already devalued past any real chance of recovery.
    BUT by all means SPEND, SPEND, SPEND! All I ask is a little more time to prepare and SAVE,SAVE,SAVE.
    People starved in the Weimar Republic. It can happen here too.
    I have to hit the rack. Thanks for the conversation. Chuck

#20     Dec 9, 2009