Help me make a tool for pair trading

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by chvid, Nov 7, 2018.

1. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

are you a man or a mouse pick a direction. lol

#11     Nov 7, 2018
  2. bone

bone

You bring up a most excellent point. Modern data mining and advanced statistical analysis for complex relative value spreads work quite well. I’ve heard the same from Jump Tradings in Chicago about basket trades - it’s a deep dive.

#12     Nov 7, 2018
  3. chvid

chvid

#13     Nov 7, 2018
  4. Error reading data. Check that you have a functioning internet connection. (timeout)

#14     Nov 7, 2018
  5. chvid

chvid

Sorry about that. I have increased the timeout when reading from the data provider.

#15     Nov 7, 2018
  6. Yes, it works for me (I'm using Firefox). I've tried a few combinations: UNG-USO, SPY-SH, RSX-SH. Just for fun, playing a bit.
    I do not understand the vertical axis unit on the Long/Short Price Chart. Is this USD or percent? If it is percent: percent of what is indicated?
    In the correlation chart is it not explained what the percentages on the axis indicate.
    I guess it only works for stocks and not for futures?

#16     Nov 8, 2018
  7. chvid

chvid

It is the value (in USD) of the portfolio where you buy 100 USD worth of A and sell short 100 USD worth of B at the start of the graph (1 year ago).

Maybe saying the unit is percentage (%) of 100 USD makes it clearer and still correct? (I couldn't figure that one out so I just left it.)

Futures are not supported; the tool relies on data from IEX which does not have futures.

#17     Nov 8, 2018