help me lose some bloody pounds

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by insert, Jul 7, 2007.

1. I like chocolate. I also like coffee. Neither in excess is good for you. Therefore, I have limited amounts of the best that is available to me. At least make it count. As far as chocolate is concerned, consider having a bit of dark, bittersweet chocolate since it is actually good for you in small quantities. Just be sure that sugar is not the first ingredient and that it has no milk products. An added benefit of dark chocolate with a very high cocoa content is that you won't want to have too much of it, anyway. And don't have it when you're hungry because that's just plain stupid.

#41     Jul 9, 2007
  2. wesbrown

wesbrown

i agree it will be hard to stop at just one, but i wil lmake sure i do.. how good is cycling. i do that for around 30 minutse aday, and then walk for anothe r20-30 minutes..

#42     Jul 9, 2007
  3. wesbrown

wesbrown

i hate dark chocolate.. if/when i eat- it is only milk chocolate.. my favourites include twix mars and butter fingers!

#43     Jul 9, 2007
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

if it is 3 hours before you go to sleep...you should be ok.....keep in mind i am not a trainer nor am i a nutritionist..these are just things ive read and try to follow...sorry no candy...but i eat them myself from time to time..

#44     Jul 9, 2007
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

thats what they try to do...addict us to their foods...i bet you dont get addicted to an organic apple... :p

#45     Jul 9, 2007
  6. One really easy thing to do. Get yourself a nice fiber supplement that is high in soluble fiber. I know it sounds too easy and your thinking you're going to crap like a horse, but it really does work.

The reason is that fiber is a leptin trigger.

Leptin is a hormone that is primarily secreted from the fat cells themselves, in response to the amount of triglycerides they stock. On a paracrine level they serve to signal neighbouring pre-adipocytes that the existing fat cells are full and that the pre-adipocytes need to proliferate and differentiate.

It does so via a specific leptin receptor that uses the same downstream signalling cascades as insulin, and results mostly in similar effects, namely the activation of cEBP alpha and PPARgamma, factors of proliferation and differentiation, causing an increase in the amount of fat cells.

Because leptin serves as a signal of excess, it fulfils many functions on an endocrine level that may be perceived as positive to fat loss, such as a reduction in appetite, diminished response to appetite inducing signals, and so forth. Mainly because of its many roles in this regard, it has been hyped as the next big factor in weight loss.

So in a simple nutshell. Becoming obese lowers leptin production. This decreases your body's natural ability to regulate fat stores. Fiber elevates leptin levels and your body realizes that fat cells are full. The result is that your metabolism jumps while at the same time your brain is telling your body that it doesn't need to eat so you don't get hungry. Once your body returns to a more healthy weight, it doesn't matter how much fiber you take, the leptin levels naturally drop again and your metabolism will stabilize to maintain that fat level.

I gained 80lbs in about 2 years eating at carl's junior most days and eating dinner at about 10pm most days. I actually couldn't sleep on an empty stomache. I kept track of calories for about a week and it turned out I was at about 4,000 per day. I love butterfingers! I tried to diet and lost about 15lbs but my cravings got the best of me and I gained it all back within a couple months.

I learned about leptin and fiber so I began taking "yerba prima" fiber powder with my normal drinks each day. I didn't intend to change my diet but after a few days of getting a good amount of fiber I was no longer very hungry and the though of a super sized double western burger wasn't very appealing anymore. In place of my 10pm meal I would simply mix up a big glass of juice with fiber and I would be stuffed.

I lost 5% body fat during the first few weeks and I'm on my way now to stabilizing back at 190lbs again. I'm 6' tall and when I work out, 190 is my stable weight. I should be at my ideal within the next month or so. 190lbs and about 9-10% body fat.

#46     Jul 9, 2007
  7. wesbrown

wesbrown

Thanks for all the help.. I will be in touch in a few months!! How/where can i get the fiber supplement from.? any preotein store?

#47     Jul 9, 2007
  8. Fine. Just so long as you know that it is pure junk food with no redeeming value. You get out what you put in. Hey, I don't make the rules. It is interesting that people are generally more concerned about what goes into their cars than what goes into their bodies. You wouldn't put junk into your motor, or sugar in your gas tank, would you? And yet excess sugar caramelizes your body at the cellular level, thereby accelerating the aging process. Your whole body, and not just your appearance, will age prematurely. But, hey, if it feels good, right?

#48     Jul 9, 2007
  9. Any good grocery store has many. Look for the ones with the most soluble fiber per serving. Acacia powder is great. Also if you'd rather eath something, lentil soup is very high in fiber. And if you like Jamba Juice, the fiber boost has a ton of soluble fiber in it. The sugar in the mix is a little counter-productive though.

#49     Jul 9, 2007
  10. Go to any store that sells health foods and buy psyllium seed husks. It is cheaper than buying brand name fiber, and is the principal ingredient in the better ones anyway. The instructions are typically on the packaging: one teaspoon mixed in a glass of water. And be sure to drink lots of water. You can have it more than once a day.

However, please note that a fiber supplement does not give you carte blanche to otherwise eat irresponsibly.

#50     Jul 9, 2007