Help me filter this list of trading books

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by gambleditall, Oct 3, 2018.

1. qlai

qlai

Welcome to the labyrinth! downloadfile.jpg

#21     Oct 6, 2018
  2. Serious answer: take a job in the industry. You'll notice that just about ALL of the knowledgeable posters on this board have industry experience, usually quite extensive . Sure there are exceptions, but few and far between. Learning without domain experience usually does not happen.

Of the books on your list, the Thorpe bio and the Market Wizards books are ok for entertainment but lack any actionable information. Only "Evidence Based Tech Analysis" and "Trading and Exchanges" are worth anything informationally.

The above goes double for vol and options trading -- you aren't going to learn to trade vol by subscribing to SteadyOptions and merely reading the Options forum here at ET. Get a job in the industry.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    #23     Oct 6, 2018
    fan27 likes this.
  3. qlai

qlai

Seriously!? I agree with everything you said, but realistically ...

#24     Oct 6, 2018
  4. Thanks, that makes sense. However, most prop trading firms in my city are dead and moving to the US is not an option right now.

You are right about getting a job in industry is the best way to get educated. If that’s not an option, what’s the alternative? Just stick to long term investments?

#25     Oct 7, 2018
  5. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

^^^^^^^
    THIS! Big time!!

:D

#26     Oct 9, 2018
  6. Hi,

I was looking for books that could help test a strategy/system. I found the following recommended on various posts in ET:
    1. Street Smarts: High Probablity Trading by Linda Raschke
    2. Trading Systems by Perry J Kaufman
    3. Trading Systems by Emilio Tomasini

And then there is of course Thomas Bulkowski and Adam Grimes who have apparently tested their patterns.

Any opinion on the above books?

#27     Oct 9, 2018
  7. Chewy

Chewy

yes kind of a long list

if someone needs a mentor I might be able to help. send me a private message with your email. only serious people. dont waste my time.

I agree that mentoring or working in the industry are what is needed. books just do not work all that well.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    #28     Oct 9, 2018
  8. fan27

fan27

I don't if any of the books offer value as I have not read them. Looking at the Amazon page for Kaufman's book, I am stunned by the amount of grammatical errors. Who wrote this!!! ???

#29     Oct 9, 2018
  9. Okay how did you learn to test your strategies/methods because seems like you didn’t use any books.

#30     Oct 9, 2018