Help me filter this list of trading books

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by gambleditall, Oct 3, 2018.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

^^ ^^
    THIS.

And Elder, and Tharp.
    For me, Aronson and Pardo.
    For you?? :wtf: Who knows?

#11     Oct 4, 2018
    Handle123 likes this.
  2. zdreg

zdreg

some people trade professionally and like to collect books, nobody says you have to read them.

#12     Oct 4, 2018
    Handle123 likes this.
  3. gobba

gobba

The only useful book in that list is Trading and Exchanges by Larry Harris. Read it back-to-back and try to figure out how you can fit into the equation. Market wizards, How to Trade Stocks by Jesse Livermore and A Man for All Markets can be read for entertainment, not particularly useful unless you're able to read between the lines.

The rest are all garbage, throw them away.

#13     Oct 4, 2018
  4. Jones75

Jones75

I have the annotated hard copy edition, great read.:thumbsup:

#14     Oct 4, 2018
  5. So what is your suggested way of learning trading then? If you say that it is 1000s of hours of screen time, you are right. But, doesn't a trader also need to know what he is looking for when he is looking at a chart. How does a trader without a mentor even know how to get educated without books?

I am already a successful long term investor but only got into trading about 6 months ago. So far, I have broken even - thanks to good risk management.

I want to profit off volatility on the medium term and intraday.

Thanks! I have heard good reviews on that. If the rest are garbage, how do you suggest a new trader like me get educated without having a mentor?

Here is actually a link I came across from a trader named Adam Grimes: https://adamhgrimes.com/library/reading-list/

Anyone got an opinion on it? His reading list seems pretty rounded.

#15     Oct 4, 2018
  6. fan27

fan27

I don't recommend 1000s of hours of screen time. In this age of computing, why waste your time staring at a screen when a computer can analyze the data for you? Sure, you can get some ideas from looking at charts, but endless hours of "screen time" is a waste of time. The problem with most books is they show pretty patterns that worked perfectly in the example they provide but they do not provide a methodology for testing the pattern. This leaves the reader wasting time and money trying to trade the pattern without actually knowing its effectiveness. All is not lost. Rather than trying to learn techniques or patterns, seek out methods on how to go about testing ideas. Automate what you can.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    #16     Oct 4, 2018
    digitalnomad likes this.
  7. Makes sense. Do you have a resource that explains how to test Trading Ideas thoroughly?

#17     Oct 4, 2018
  8. #18     Oct 4, 2018
    fan27 likes this.
  9. You can for sure, but unless someone is truly gifted, circumventing that contextual and visual experience will likely land you in the same camp with millions of others, fishing in a dry hole.

No guarantees either way, and trading your own risk capital is a tough game best suited to sacrificial lambs. Most players just don’t have the balls, as society in general, constantly discourages high risk endeavors.

#19     Oct 4, 2018
    fan27 likes this.
  10. I think there are some pretty good books there, but mostly for inspiration, learning what NOT to do and how markets work (Trading & Exchanges). At best, these books are good for getting STARTED. At worst, they'll confuse the hell out of you and lead you in the wrong direction as they're written by failed traders or breakeven traders at best.

Check out this thread for some interesting questions. I'm sure none of those books mention anything similar. You see, that's the thing. Most stuff that's good is kept private...

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/thre...-spys-open-range-vs-the-mid-day-range.325527/

#20     Oct 5, 2018