Help me buy a new car (and what about cars and gender?)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Error 404, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Have you considered an Infiniti FX45? I've seen a few tooling around town, and they are definitely not feminine! Where I live (South Florida), I see a lot of very nice cars, and there's something appealing about this vehicle. I plan to visit all the luxury dealerships this week, and this car is #1 on my test drive list. I haven't checked out the reviews, but it comes with some serious horsepower.

http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,cid-24508_sctid-12001,00.html

Regards,

Slave2Market

#21     Jun 8, 2003
  2. On the lower price range ($29,500 discounted) go with the IS300 Sportdesign on the higher price range ($40,000 plus) go with the new Audi S4. The IS300 continues to be rated as the most reliable car in its' class with no competitors even close. The new Audi S4 should be much more reliable than the last S4 (no more twin turbos - new v8 power), and you get great control with the all wheel drive platform. If you really wan't to blow out the bank account go with the new Ford GT (GT40).:cool:

#22     Jun 8, 2003
  3. I would never buy any nissan/infiniti product right now with the renault ownership relationship!:mad:

BTW, the new Mini (chrysler engined from brazil plant) has very bad reliability ratings for new cars...near the bottom of the pack...great job BMW! :confused:

#23     Jun 8, 2003
  4. I also live in S. Florida. And yes, I have thought about the Fx45, but it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense for me. First off, it comes standard with (and you pay for) AWD, which is not a necessesity in Florida. The FX35 does come with 2WD, (and a less powerful engine) and seems to make a bit more sense. Still plenty of power. To me, a high powered SUV is kind of silly. Besides, my wife's Durango has a big V8, so if I ever needed to tow something (which I haven't yet), I have that truck.

The Murano, which is essentially the same car as the FX seems to be a possiblity. It is certainly a matter of personal preference, but to me, the Murano looks a little nicer on the outside (I haven't been in either the Murano or the FX, so I am don't know about the interiors, or the price differences.

But both the FX35 and Murano are on my list of cars to check out.

Thanks.

The IS300 is too small for me. I actually came very close to buying one for my son, but went with the Honda for half the price. Sorry I even got him the Honda. I would have been twice as sorry if I had gotten him the little Lexus.

The S4 has zero appeal to me. I want either an SUV or a convertible (or sports car). To me, the S4 is just an A4 with a big motor. Don't see any justification in spending that kind of money for a car I find kind of dull. The big engine doesn't do anything for me. I do like the all wheel drive, but I think it would be more fun in the TT convertible. Ford GT40....yeah, right, perfect car to depend on to get me to work in the morning. Guess you did not read this whole thread. I do NOT want a car that attracts attention. What else is a GT40 good for?

While Renault has a stake in Nissan, and the French are today's favorite people for Americans to "boycot", (I myself have disliked the French for a very long time prior to their whimping out over Iraq), the fact is that virtually all cars are pretty much "internationalized". It is virtually impossible to buy a car that is does not have components that come from all over. Or ownership that is from "all over".

When I bought my Saab, I thought I was buying a Swedish car. But when I read the Moroni sticker, I was kind of surprised to see that the car was designed in Sweden, assembled in Norway, and manufactured with a huge percentage of parts from Germany. I had a Mazda RX7 that had a faulty transmission. I figured no one could fix it. It turned out to be a Chrysler transmission. While Mazda was a joint venture with Ford. The lines are very blurry.

While I thought the Minis in the movie "The Italian Job" were very cool, the chances of me buying or ever owning one are a little less than zero. If I can't fit in a Civic, how can I fit in a Mini?
    But as you say, the Mini, which is owned by BMW, is assembled in Brazil, with a Chysler engine? I didn't know that, but Chrysler is now owned by Mercedes, a direct competitor of BMW. So it is hard to tell the players without a program. And even so, as I said, the lines are so blurry, you never really know where every part of each car comes from. And who does business with whom.

The way of the world in business today my friend. "Buy American" may work if you are buying a pack of Wrigley's Chewing Gum. But buy anything that is made of components, and you are generally dealing with an international collaboration of manufacturers.
    Welcome to the 21st century.

Peace,
    :)RS

#24     Jun 8, 2003
  5. nitro

nitro

I am waiting for the convertible HUMMER.

nitro :cool: :D

#25     Jun 9, 2003
  6. maxpi

maxpi

If you are going to be driving on pavement, absolute best value, fun, fun, fun to drive car is a Camaro. With the V6 and 5 speed you have balance and .9G turns, with the Aluminum V8 and 4 speed auto you have convenience and power and .8G turns. You have to modify them so the radiator cooling fans run all the time and they will be the most reliable thing you ever drove. Camaros fly under the "status" radar however and who gives a rat's ass, car status is a "new money" thing.

Max

#26     Jun 9, 2003
  7. Been around for years Nitro. Just not the H2...gotta go with the Big Boy. If you are gonna get a Hummer, why get a "compact" version? You already have your BMW 3 series....time to go BIG!!!
    Isn't it you that says "Gotta do size!!!"?

Peace,

#27     Jun 9, 2003
  8. Thought they stopped making Camaros and Firebirds. Or are about to.

Besides, for that kind of car, at least the Mustang is constantly updated. The Camaro/Firebird has not changed in about 300 years. (Or it seems like it...but really, not since the 60's).

But they always have looked nice and been fun to drive. No denying that. But they also have the worst quality rating of any American cars. Just too old a design. The "neglected poor relations" of the GM family.

Peace,

#28     Jun 9, 2003
  9. The Mini-S is exceptional and really is a different kind of car. Great in traffic, fast and easy to park. You can really get around in one of these. I think you can get a 200-hp version. (Sixteen inch alloys) Mini Cooper-S.
    [​IMG]FAMOUS MINI OWNERS

John Lennon
    Peter Sellers
    Enzo Ferrari
    Tom Hanks
    Clint Eastwood
    Jackie Stewart
    Steve McQueen
    David Niven
    King Hussein of Jordan
    Eddie Van Halen
    Graham Hill
    Bruce McLaren
    Jack Brabham
    Niki Lauda
    James Hunt
    Ken Tyrrell
    Richard Petty
    Paul Newman
    Dudley Moore
    Michael Caine
    James Garner
    Now here is the thing. Underneath most cars are the same. I did not see you making mention of mid engine vs. front engine or all wheel drive vs. rear only. So the thing is, how much comfort can you handle?

To that end, the premium on the Porsche is fair.
    [​IMG]
    Look the SLK-Mercedes-Benz and any Porsche are great cars, they will last about twenty years. Why don’t you just buy one where someone else took the depreciation from driving off the lot?
    That’s it do it.
    You can always do a "sports car SUV," Cayanne.

#29     Jun 9, 2003
  10. OHLC

OHLC

Real men drive this : 406 coupé.

The rest is for pussies :D

OHLC

• l.jpg
      File size:
      21.8 KB
      Views:
    #30     Jun 9, 2003