Help- hp or dell?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bm12, Jun 3, 2006.

1. bl33p

bl33p

Get Dell with next day on-site service. Costs next to nothing for a period of 3 or 4 years and guarantees that your trading station is always working.

Last time I checked the extra cost for 3 year completecover warranty (covers even accidental damage, not just warranty issues) with next day on-site response was 200-300 dollars. That is nothing compared to the convenience.

Dell even has same day on-site service but as a sensible trader goes with multiple computers anyway it's overkill to be paying for that unless you're really serious about your trading.

I haven't sent anything for warranty service in years, the service comes to me!

#11     Jun 5, 2006
  2. Was your computer connected to a UPS or surge protector? I am wondering if the accident is due to poor protection or poor Dell quality. The same thing happened to me in 1999, Dell sent me a replacement motherboard. My computer was connected to a crappy surge protector and damaged during a thunderstorm.

#12     Jun 5, 2006
  3. Adobian

Adobian

These days, you can buy a second PC for 300 dollars. Tuck it away in a closet for rainy days :) .

#13     Jun 5, 2006
  4. Tums

Tums

take a look at the stock charts. It might help you to decide. ;-)>

#14     Jun 5, 2006
  5. bl33p

bl33p

It's not about the second pc but the trouble. It's not trouble to call for someone to come to your place and repair something the very next day. It's hell of a trouble to start mailing something and wait.

#15     Jun 5, 2006
  6. It was connected to a crappy power surge protector.

#16     Jun 5, 2006
  7. I use a Dell 9100 dual core for my trading workstation. Runs fine, very quiet for the price. Especially since it uses the newer BTX cases, totally screwless, very modular.

Their customer service however is horrible, be prepared to call the twilight zone, seriously, it's strange and frustrating.

My previous computer was an old HP celeron, loud fan. But I'm sure the newer HPs are quiet.

good luck!

#17     Jun 10, 2006
  8. That's like deciding whether you want cancer or herpes.

#18     Jun 11, 2006
  9. I have had my machines built locally. I like supporting local small businesses and if something goes wrong I have someone I can take it too that knows me.

John

#19     Jun 11, 2006
  10. What's the processor model in your machine? Pentium D 8 or 9 series? Especially 8 is hot.

#20     Jun 11, 2006