Help getting day's executions from IB into Excel

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Gordon Gekko, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Guys,

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I put all my trades in at the end of the day. I've been doing it by hand. I look at the executions in TWS, then I type them all into Excel. It's not something I enjoy.

I noticed in TWS, you can go to file, export previous day's reports. I tried doing this and it exported the trades to a file and the file looks like this:

ESH3;BOT;1;821.75;19:36:36;20030306;GLOBEX;;
    ESH3;SLD;1;821.75;19:57:51;20030306;GLOBEX;;

Is there any way I can just copy this, paste it into excel, and have it go in different cells? If this is not a good idea, how else are you guys getting your executions out of IB into Excel?

Thanks

2. def

def Sponsor

Don't copy and paste it, import it. Excel should do the rest via a menu prompt asking for the delimiter (enter ";")

3. File, Open, choose Text Files from Files of type and open your file. Select Delimited, Next, check Semicolon in Delimiters, Next, General, Finish.

4. FAANNNNNNTASTIC! :cool:

Thanks, guys!!! :)

5. Or, you could paste them and then do data..text to columns.

This approach can come in handy at times so you won't have to save to an intermediate file if you have data in the clipboard.

6. I've been copying and pasting directly into my trades worksheet, just below my last trades. Excel 2000 is automatically parsing the data into columns, I guess assuming the new data format should match that just above.

Don't know how or why it's doing it, but it works great so I'm going with the flow.