Help generating some "foreign income"

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tacosplz, Oct 25, 2017.

1. toonerdy

toonerdy

I am having trouble finding this anywhere online, but I was recently told that VMIN is expected to go ex-dividend on December 27, 2017, with a dividend speculated to be at about ~25% of the current (October 2017) price, and that that ETF's business structure involves a Cayman Islands corporation. So, you might want to check if that dividend would be the type of income that for your tax objective.

You might also want to check if the ex-dividend date is the relevant date for your purposes, as I suspect that the divdend will actually be distributed in 2018. Also, if anything changes at the last minute, you probably won't have time to find another dividend stock for your maneuver. Another thing to keep in mind is that VMIN often has a bid-ask spread of about 1% during regular trading hours, and, like many volatility-related ETF's, has huge price swings.

Anyhow, REX ETF's answers the phone (perhaps VMIN's 3.13% expense ratio helps pay for that). So, you might want to call or e-mail them if you think it's worth checking out for your purpose.

#21     Oct 28, 2017
  2. tacosplz

tacosplz

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately the special dividends paid by VMIN are not foreign income (I just called and asked).

#22     Oct 31, 2017
  3. toonerdy

toonerdy

I realize that my pointer about VMIN is not useful to tacosplz's original questions, but, just in case it might be relevant to anyone else, and because I would rather not leave my last post with the remark "I am having trouble finding this anywhere online", I'll mention that VMIN has apparently published an estimate (still not a commitment) of that dividend I mentioned. It looks like the ex-dividend date will be one day earlier than I thought (12/26 instead of 12/27): https://www.volmaxx.com/Data/Sites/9/media/docs/VMIN_Distribution_PR.pdf .

#23     Dec 18, 2017