help find nvidia PCI video card, no fan, vista capable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtnet, Jan 4, 2008.

1. jtnet

jtnet

looking for a PCI video card NVIDIA based, no fan (last one i had was super noisey), works in vista with DVI out, im trying to get a 3rd monitor to work

2. Bob111

Bob111

3. This fanless card works very well. Silent and high performing. The 7600GS GPU will take full advantage of Vista's capabilities when you are ready to migrate. It supports two monitors up to 2560x1600 resolution (30").

XFX nVidia GeForce 7600GS 2x dual DVI fanless PCIe x16 PV-T73P-UDJ3

4. Moreagr

Moreagr

5. jtnet

jtnet

i just bought a quadro nvs 55, and it does not work with my system, so i doubt the 100 or 280 will work as well.

when i put the card in, the computer boots up fine and freezes when logging in, safe mode installs drivers, but screen never comes on, even when i take all cards out and set PCI video card as primary, it never works.

6. Are you looking for a PCI slot video card or a PCI-Express card?

My guess is that you are looking for a simple PCI slot card, no?

7. Bob111

Bob111

i guess you have to check for compatibility before you buy

8. jdkgroup

jdkgroup

i am using vista & have 2 PNY - NVS440 cards (from newegg)

I think they sell 2 types, 1 will fit a pci-e16 slot, the other is for a PCI or PCIe slot

Tthis must be the only type of card in the system, so you will need to remove your other video cards, and download the newest driver directly from Nvidia, but this one card will run all 3 monitors.....you will need a y-cable to plug in all 3 though....PM me if you need any further help

9. I purchased a Dell Precision Workstation a few months back, which came with an nVidia Quadro NVS 285 PCIe card installed. Wanting to add a third monitor, I then found a 'NIB' Quadro NVS 280 PCIe card offered on eBay which I acquired, and upon installation, the dreaded blue screen arrived.

Long story short, ended w/ a local tech at the house who also could not get this combo to work - it was his belief that the drivers were too similar and creating a conflict. So he returned to store and brought back an nVidia GeForce FX5200 PCI, and was up and running in a few minutes.

So, the NVS 280 PCIe is available on the cheap. If interested, please PM.

10. Gnome is the video card king on ET. If he reads this I'm sure he'll provide you with some very valuable input.

#10     Jan 6, 2008