Help --Buying a used computer --

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pbw, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Computer seem OK for trading, but I would get a new one and buck out the extra cash for it.

Take a look at tigerdirect.com

#11     Mar 1, 2006
  2. Spunky

Spunky

For one thing the Intel Pentium 4 Processor 521 w/HT Technology (2.8GHz,800FSB) from the Dell will run circles around the used P4

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    No one has really mentioned why the computer I am looking at is inadeqaute --beside the price.

What features is this computer lacking? --what other details should I be looking for to make it worth while.

This computer fullfills all the requirements listed on the Hardware Training forum on this site -- except that it is a 1.5ghz -- whareas the recomended say should be a 1.7 -2.0 Ghz.

Commnets appreciated..
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12     Mar 1, 2006
  3. Here's the one you want. Save up another $200 or so.

Dell Outlet - Small Business:

'DDAK8F58'

Precision 380
    Intel Pentium 4 630 (3GHz, 2MB L2, 800MHz)
    XP Pro with CD
    1 Gig Ram
    1.44 Floppy
    80 GB Sata II HD - 7200rpm
    128MB ATI FireGL V3100
    48x CD ROM
    48X CD-RW/DVD
    Keyboard/Mouse

$559 + tax/shipping.

The only downsides are: no Firewire, and the RAM is 533MHz instead of 667MHz. Even so, it will be a very fast computer.

I believe the Dell Precision 380 has an Intel Gigabit (10/100/1000) integrated Ethernet controller.

#13     Mar 1, 2006
  4. just21

just21

I had a dell 420 workstation that sounded like a jet engine, are the new ones quieter?

#14     Mar 1, 2006
  5. Never buy a used computer.

Performance wise: NO
    Price wise: NO

#15     Mar 1, 2006
  6. I bought a 670 and it is probably about as quiet as a computer of this caliber is going to get - not too loud - not dead quiet like a well-designed older 1.5GHz Pentium. I am unsure about the 380 - good point tho. Maybe if the original poster calls Dell, they can provide some noise specs for the 670 vs. the 380 to make sure it won't sound like a shop vac.

#16     Mar 1, 2006
  7. gnome

gnome

New ones with BTX form factor are significantly quieter... also, older ones <3.0Ghz with slower CPU fan.

#17     Mar 1, 2006
  8. PBW:

Is it possible you are undercapitalized and that is a bigger concern than what type of computer you buy? Why even consider a USED computer otherwise?

Btw I use pentium III 500 computers that I got for FREE from my old customers who were upgrading and I knew the condition of them because I worked on them previously. But that is not your situation, is it? Only one has a fast SCCI hard drive. So what! My server which runs 5 computers is only a celeron 500. (since I am a computer tech I can repair or fix any problems- which have been zero past 2 years). ALL my hard drives are only 8 GB IBM SCCI except one and they are half empty.

I'd like to have a couple new faster computers but I'd never buy a p.o.s. Dell computer with what brand hard drive? IBM doesn't make hard drives any more except for scci ones. The Maxtor, Western Digital, etc. are all undependable that come with a $350 Dell computer. More important to get a good Intel Motherboard and that requires some research.

What do you need speed for? I could see a good solid internet connection. That's worth paying for.

And this advice is coming from a very successful trader with over 30 years experience thus far. The kind of computer you use doesn't mean much.

#18     Mar 1, 2006
  9. the question comes to mind. how successful can you be if you still use a p3 500 computer? or are you just tight? lol

#19     Mar 1, 2006
  10. Catoosa

Catoosa

pbw:
    That used computer you are looking at should do anything in the way of trading you will need. I have been running 9 monitors, 39 open windows, with IB TWS and RealTick programs both open on a lesser computer than the one you are asking about. My trading computer is only 1.2 ghz, 256 mb pc-133 ram, and windows 2000. In the last week, I put in 768 mb of ram and that did not change a thing.

#20     Mar 1, 2006