Help building my first PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by balda, Jul 13, 2003.

1. I'm sorry, but I just don't see how a $38.00 cheap ass Power Supply is going to put out a solid 350 watts at the kind of Ambient Temperature ratings that occur inside the box!

Many power supply companies unrealistically assume 77degrees in order to exaggerate their wattage claims. Buyer Beware!

Moreover, you need to be cognizant of the +12V rail that solely supports case fans and your all important Pentium/Athlon Processor. ie.) a P4 - 2.60 needs 111 watts from this rail.

The +3.3V rail supports your RAM.
    You should figure that every 128mb of memory requires 8 watts.

The POWER SUPPLY may not be the most glamorous component inside your computer.... but it is just as important as your Motherboard!

I would suggest the SILERNCER-400 from PC Power & Cooling.
    It runs $143.00 + shipping.

You get what you pay for!!!

www.pcpowercooling.com

#21     Aug 6, 2003
  2. cartm

cartm

I am thinking of getting a new comp. I got my last one from www.cyberpowerinc.com I know about pricewatch and slickdeals, as well as newegg, but does anyone have a good site like cyberpower where I can build my own.

Cyberpower use to be the cheapest but I think Alienware bought it or something bc the prices have gone up. p.s not dell I hate dell. Thanks for any support you might be able to provide in this matter. TIA

Or should I wait, I know the lowest comp we will be able to buy by spring is 2.8 ghz. Should I wait? But then I will want to wait for pci express and longhorn and it will be 2k6 and I will still be here with this pos.....sorry for rambling....tiaa

#22     Aug 12, 2003
  3. One must be insane to spend $143.00 without shipping for a power supply!

Let me give you some facts. For 3 months now, I run a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 on an Intel D875PBZ motherboard with 1Gbyte RAM.
    I put it in an Antec Sonata case which comes with a high-reliability low noise 380watts power supply and a speed controlled 12inch fan - very low noise. Case price, power supply included about $100.00.

I monitor the critical temperatures with the Intel Active Monitor. It shows the following temperatures:
    Processor Zone: 35 degrees Celcius
    System Zone 1: 32 degrees Celcius
    System Zone 2: 32 degrees Celcius
    Processor Fan speed: 2233 rpm
    Rear Fan speed 1515 rpm

Ambient room temperature: 27 degrees Celcius, which is rather high right now!

Stress loading the processor will drive these temperatures up by 6 to 8 degrees Celcius.

#23     Aug 12, 2003
  4. balda

balda

Asus P4P800 deluxe
    2.4 pentium 800FSB
    512 ram DDR3200
    $23 paid for case with 350W power supply on a local show

CPU runs at 30 Celsius
    MB runs at 36 Celsius

at heavy load

CPU runs at 39 Celsius
    MB runs at 41 Celsius

CPU fan 2800 RPM

working non stop for last 3 weeks
    do not have any additional fans just CPU and Power Supply

#24     Aug 12, 2003
  5. Funny how you can go on and on about the temperature readings of your motherboard and computer, yet you FAIL to state any specs about your POWER SUPPLY!

You state that you have a 380 watt power supply, right?
    BFD!

Don't you realize that it isn't about how much total maximum wattage your power supply states, but the +12V, +5V, and +3.3V rails that are most critical?

The +12v rail supports the Processor, the +3.3v rail supports the RAM, and you can figure on 8 watts per 128mb of memory.

Telling us that you have a 380 watt power supply doesn't reveal anything about how much it is capable of supporting the Processor, AGP card, RAM, etc. It is a worthless post.

:eek:

#25     Aug 12, 2003
  6. balda

balda

my $23.00 350watt PS
    runs at

12V runs 11.98-12.09
    5V runs 5.13 stable
    3.3V runs 3.21 stable
    Vcore runs 1.6 stable

RAM 512 DDR3200 runs at 405MHz

I am sorry that I spent only $23.00 on case with PS :D

#26     Aug 12, 2003
  7. #27     Aug 12, 2003
  8. TGregg

TGregg

You can get an Antec TruePower 430 Watt for $70 including S&H. Awesome power supply. Triple digits is not worth it.

#28     Aug 12, 2003
  9. waggie945

The reason for my post is to point out the ridiculous 77 degrees Celcius that you brought up yourself in your post. I simply pointed out that in my experience the interior case temperatures are way, way below what you are talking about. That's all.

If you run up temperatures in the upper 70s then I suggest something must be way off in your case! No need for me to start dabbling in specs for this way out condition.

#29     Aug 12, 2003
  10. balda

balda

#30     Aug 12, 2003