Help building a trading PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JP_co, Mar 12, 2012.

1. easymon1

easymon1

Expand on step 4

#11     Mar 14, 2012
  2. Bob111

Bob111

decent advise,but...i like the people,who like to learn something new.
    building the PC is always on my MAN's things list to do. just like ability to ride on bike. or fix your car\motocycle..go to retail and just buy it it's like buy and hold whatever..

#12     Mar 14, 2012
  3. Yeah, but that is different from the question. Point is that trading is - unless backtesting or doing ticker plants etc- a LOW POWER thing. Want to run multiple monitors? Grab ANY low end dedicated graphics card, AMD can run 6 monitors on any card these days. CPU? Well, sucks anyway, you can trade from a laptop. Trading is less demanding than a browser game for the computer.

Don't ask for serious advice if you want to toy around.

#13     Mar 14, 2012
  4. You should view your computer as part of your job - Think about a Taxi Cab driver who doesn't know the difference between an engine and a transmission - that's like a trader not knowing the difference between a HDD and RAM.

You should at least understand the basics of a computer before you put your entire life savings in it's hands.

OP, You will end up spending $300-$500 more on a case, power supply, RAM, SSD/HDD, Video Card, PSU & CD/DVD drives as well as other BS items like $20 for a tube of thermal compound.

I'd suggest that you sell that mobo + CPU combo for about $350-$375 on eBay and pick up a Dell or HP desktop or workstation. I'm not trying to steer you away from building a computer - but I do think that if you build/DIY it'll end up costing you a bunch more than if you just went out and bought something comparable.

#14     Mar 14, 2012
  5. http://www.summersailstice.com/article_imgs/76.jpg

I glued one of those to the glovebox of a Vespa. So that I can make it to/from Starbux without spilling of course :)

#15     Mar 15, 2012