help and guidience from experienced traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ShowMeTheMoney, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Hi all!
    I´m trading the ES for 12 month now but I still cant get the things rolling.
    I have times the things are going nice and a few weeks later a payback cycle starts and I give back the former gains.
    I have to admit I didnt see a lot of advance in my learning curve lately and so I decided to give this here a try:

A lot of experienced and profitabel traders are posting here. Some of them are offering their help to others.
    I would like to make my learning curve a public one.

What does this mean?
    I will start a journal in this board here.
    I would like to have additional e-mail contact to proven members in this board. This one I would send a complete journal of all trades, entry setups, exits, money managament and so on. And everything else anyone would like to see.
    In my journal thread I also would like to discuss topics of all kind. I´m sure there will be a lot of intersts by other newbies too.
    I dont expect a kind of help like "heh, use this setup......" More like "heh, u should think about if your stops are well placed"
    GUIDIENCE

I´m really uncertain if there will be any kind of response but nothing to lose here.
    So, please PM me if there is any kind of intetest and lets see if we can get the project going.

2. tampa

tampa

STOP THE PRESSES!

Elite Trader Forum member ShowMeTheMoney boldly asked for guidance in becoming a successful trader today. Mr. Money has done what no other member has dared do before in asking for advice from more experienced ET members.

Several more senior, yet less than successful members were overheard mumbling: “Why didn’t we think of that?”.

It has been rumored that the highly respected OldTrader has been seen heading down the highway in his 1957 Buick RoadMaster, in a valiant attempt to reach the troubled young trader.

3. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

If you are having a bad time trading, you might do well to find yourself a trading partner. Post on Elite Trader that you are looking for one and you could set up your own chat on IM.
    I did that and it really helps both of us focus on our trading..
    I found someone who trades in the same style with ES.
    Cathy

4. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

If you intend to start a journal, scroll down a bit to the Journal board if you want to be in like company. Otherwise, readers may misunderstand what it is you're trying to do.

You will also get much more useful help if you're clear about what it is you're trying to do, e.g., scalp or trade trend, day trade, the timeframe you're using, what "system" you've created for yourself, whether you prefer a mechanical or discretionary approach, etc. Simply posting trades and noting whether they were profitable or not (which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with whether or not they were successful) doesn't mean much without knowing why you went into the trade in the first place.

--Db

5. @bobcathy: Thats a really good idea and I want to invite everybody who is intersted to send a PM. Especially if he or she is trading the ES too and has a look at a similar timeframe.

@dbphoenix:Yes, I would post my journal in the journal Forum. But its not that easy to post all trades in a valid way. Like snapshots and so on. This would I like to do additionaly per email if anybody would be interested.

To my style: I focus on the 1 to 3min timeframe. I also cross verify with larger timeframes like 15, 60 and daily.
    I try to enter trends at pullbacks and I fade breakouts/breakdowns. The style is discretionary.

--SMTM

6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

As to the journal, what's "valid" depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you're trying to prove that you're a great trader, then, yes, conducting all your trades in real-time would be called for. But the proper venue for that would be a chat room. Any message board posting is by definition lagging, and can therefore be accomplished in hindsight.

But if you're looking for help or advice or guidance or whatever, then it doesn't even matter if every trade is posted. What matters is knowing what your plan is, why you're entering a trade, what you are trying to accomplish with the trade, where your stop is and so on. Only then can there be a rational and hopefully flame-free discussion about whether your goals are appropriate for your timeframe, whether your stops are unrealistic, whether your discretion is systematic or chaotic, etc. Otherwise you'll just wind up with the same old homilies, aphorisms, and "here's what your problem is" that are no help at all.

As far as your style, how do you reconcile - or differentiate - buying pullbacks in a trend and fading breakouts? How do you do both at the same time?

--Db

7. You might take a look at www.dacharts.com. They have an ES chat room and trade your time frame. Also, a lot of them trade pullbacks (they call them slingshots).

Good luck...

8. is the GAYEST trader in here. i think we all agree!!

9. IS A BIG GAY FAG WHO LOVES TO TAKE IT IN THE ASS AND THEN AFTER THEY ARE DONE POUNDING HIS ASS SUCKS THEM OFF UNTIL THEY BEG HIM TO STOP!!!!!!

10. Daveron

Daveron

There really should be some type of age requirement before being able to post on the forums. These immature posters are just degrading the whole site IMHO.

#10     Nov 17, 2002