Help a High School with a Trading Project

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by caroy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. I think this is a cool idea. I don't have the time to play sorry. If I can suggest though, how about some statistics to add to this game and show them about probabilities. I hated math in HS, I wish someone would have told me hey if you learn statistics here are some ways you can make money with it. You make them into card counters and traders! :D

#21     Sep 13, 2008
  2. Kudos to you for doing good things for your students. I wish I had teachers/principles like you. The jerks I had were just too busy putting students in detention for coming 2 minutes late to school.

#22     Sep 13, 2008
  3. caroy

caroy

Good idea. We are always looking for practical tie ins for math skills and our statistics teacher is always keen on adding new projects. All the best.

#23     Sep 13, 2008
  4. I might have overreacted a little and I apoligize if I came off to harsh. I know you mean well and shouldn't have dissed you.

However, as a trader, I have to tell you how worthless this career really is. People can talk all they want about the 'role of futures mitigating risk' and blah, blah, blah but it really is nothing but bullshit. We make (or lose) money. That's it. It actually contributes nothing to the good of society regardless of the lipstick that they apply to the pig (apoligies to McCain & Obama).

I sit in my house five days a week, 8:30 - 3:15 CST watching a chart paint green and red bars. As somebody else stated very clearly on another thread; winning in a trade produces no glory and losing produces no misery. However, I never realized this until recently, all other life events also become 'boring'. The weekends literally suck.

In short, you do NOT want to lead vibrant young people down this path. My nephews and nieces are constantly clamoring for me to teach them the business. I intend to do that but not before they have mastered themselves and found success in something meaningful. That is what I meant about waiting until their 40.

#24     Sep 13, 2008
  5. Mosholu

Mosholu

this in an excellent project... this would never happen in a government school, the left leaning teachers would demonize speculation.

#25     Sep 13, 2008
  6. caroy

caroy

I see your point. I left the floor to go into education because i felt called to do something else. I realize with trading as a profession that in the end it is about money. We do make a point to stress in the unit that we have an obligation to contribute to the common good and using wealth for good reason can accomplish this. I've read some of your other posts and know you agree with our human obligation to aid those in need.

I think a lot of people question what the common good is their job does. I think trading when helping lead to price stability and risk management does enable business to function in a more efficient stable way. Granted the tie ins are rather abstract.

I think one benefit of the floor was the social aspect. We are designed to be social beings and sitting in front of quote screens all day is not a natural endeavor. The floor provided that comraderie and friendship that we all desire in the end and to that end I personally find its demise sad.

I'm sure your nephew and nieces have learned much more of value from your example as a human being than they ever will from your trading knowledge.

All the best and thanks for your comment.

#26     Sep 13, 2008
  7. Is this some sort of inside joke? This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but I am disturbed that an educator would make such a statement.
    Education, generally speaking, in this country has become nothing less than pathetic. Do a quick search of the message boards and online community sites and then tell me that high school seniors know how to write. I am continually shocked that they cannot even begin to use proper grammar and punctuation let alone know the difference between who/whom advice/advise to/too their/there/they’re its/it’s etc. I have talked to more than one recruiter from large companies that are dismayed at not only the lack of proficiency but the ridiculous level of self entitlement current graduates display.

As a former floor trader, I can see some value in what you are trying to do as long as you teach them that the pseudo speak of texting will not get them far in the competitive world. The floor, as well as other highly competitive jobs, requires the same skills as surviving in the wild. The number of incidents where students have their mother call and complain to their teachers about bad grades shows these students have the exact opposite of the requisite skills.

#27     Sep 13, 2008
  8. For the grammar freaks (like me): 'they're 40'.

#28     Sep 13, 2008
  9. caroy

caroy

Nice catch on the above mentioned use of "their". These boards are always good for a laugh.

#29     Sep 13, 2008
  10. caroy

caroy

I second that. I've had a teaching candidate come to the interview with her mother. Needless to say she is not in our employ. Teaching students to self-advocate and be responsible is always a challenging tasks.

#30     Sep 13, 2008