Help a High School with a Trading Project

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by caroy, Sep 13, 2008.

1. rosy2

rosy2

is that how the students benefit? they learn the operations and back office aspect of the markets. an order comes in, it gets sent to the pit, executed by a filler.

on a side note, the first kid that games this project's system will be successful.

#11     Sep 13, 2008
  2. Still, saying that any monkey can fill an order just proves your ignorance.

#12     Sep 13, 2008
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

and now they also learn the pit is full with grumpy old men. :D

#13     Sep 13, 2008
  4. caroy

caroy

They also spend time learning about the roles of futures markets in risk management. They learn about hedging and in general they learn about the various career paths associated with the trading and futures industry.

The general public often fails to grasp the importance of exchanges and the roles they play. These kids leave understanding futures markets and the mechanics of the exchange and an understanding that the open outcry method in its hey day was the most efficient way to trade commodities and transfer risk.

After the exercise we discuss the transition to electronic markets and the role that has taken.

Learning by doing is a little more exciting than reading about it in a book.

We also find that these activities clarify the misconceptions held by the general public about futures traders and speculators in genera.

Interesting the level of crudeness to the responses on a simple proposal asking for help with an educational endeavor. Too bad some schools haven't stressed manners.

#14     Sep 13, 2008
  5. caroy

caroy

Much thanks to those of you who have signed up already.

#15     Sep 13, 2008
  6. There is no reason to be wasting time on teaching high school students any aspect of 'futures trading'. They can learn that stuff when they get to their 40's. Totally pathetic.

Teach them how to read, write, and contribute to the good of society. A Catholic Church school no less: this makes me sick !!

#16     Sep 13, 2008
  7. Great project and good luck. A field trip in high school to the CBOT cemented my desire to trade down there and just 2 years later I was working as a runner before becoming a local at age 22. Nothing gives one a better understanding of a two sided auction market than open outcry. While I in no way feel responsible for the cretins on this board, I apologize for those who mocked your noble intentions. If you need additional folks please PM me.

#17     Sep 13, 2008
  8. rosy2

rosy2

great. have them take the series 3 afterwards so you know if they learned anything. AFAIK, there's no age requirement and its only about $70. I would be impressed if any passed.

#18     Sep 13, 2008
  9. caroy

caroy

Seeing as these are seniors in high school it is pretty much a given they already know how to read and write. Our average ACT score is 6 pts above the national average and this is a unit in a class dedicated to "economics." Our students also complete 100 hours of service to the community to graduate. Given the fact that we have these bases covered.... do you think it is acceptable to take five days to learn about risk management, the economy, and the role of futures exchanges? or as another enlightened mind has commented , should they save that until they are 40?

I really don't grasp your disgust.

#19     Sep 13, 2008
  10. caroy

caroy

We had one student last year sit for the exam over the summer and passed. He landed a summer job at a local brokerage firm and is now majoring in ag econ at U of I.

To be fair he learned most of what he needed by studying on his own but the class did help spark his interest in the industry.

#20     Sep 13, 2008