help a ETer out

Discussion in 'Trading' started by itcanbedone, Aug 24, 2009.

1. I understand you did not recommend buying a call Atticus. I was asking Redneck poster if he is recommend buy a call when he is saying "you can go back in" I did not mean to make that look like you say something you did not. Ok?
    I like to hear the different strategy people use. I never blame anyone for what they recommend (opinion) if that opinion is wrong. No one know the future 100%. :)

#41     Aug 24, 2009

2. being licensed traders if they gave you advice you could do what has been done on GOOG thread for that model who was maligned....

so, since no one wants to give trading advice to you and there are real monies (green, i.e. profits in hand) at stake,

take that as a caution and offer either a blanket warranty or exclusion from recrimination,

after all that's what being licenses means,

#42     Aug 24, 2009
  3. Redneck

Redneck

No Sir - not buy a call

I meant reenter a long position - "if" - it appears to want to go higher

I'm just not sure anyone wants to take it (the price) higher

eta - And possibly do like Atticus posted "sell the entire position forward in Jan 2010 via the synthetic short"

RN

#43     Aug 24, 2009
  4. Redneck

Redneck

Time will tell Sir

eta - I also think a revaluation is occurring (across a lot of stuff) – where it ends up is anyone’s guess

Is last year's chart (of most stocks) a good indicator - I am not so sure for the immediate future (day trading)

#44     Aug 24, 2009

5. Yes. Thank you.

#45     Aug 24, 2009
  6. NoDoji

NoDoji

You have a large unrealized gain on a long position that is in an unbroken uptrend, making higher highs and higher lows above its 20-period moving average. You want to maximize profit, and I seem to remember you took a nice profit on a swing trade not too long ago but left $200K on the table from the top, and are looking to avoid a repeat.

The thing is you can never pick perfect tops and bottoms; be happy to catch a nice piece of the move.

The next resistance level LVS should head to IF the trend remains intact will be the 16.00 area, not too far from where your position currently stands.

I would suggest taking profits on half your position, and placing a stop below the previous support level of 12.02.

Or if plan is to hold part of the position for a longer term, regardless of whether it reverses its trend or not, then you could sell front month OTM calls on that part of the position, collecting premium each month unless assigned, and in that case you will still have captured additional profit.

For example right now you could sell SEPT $15 calls for about .90/share, $16's for about .55

#46     Aug 24, 2009
  7. weezer

weezer

Sell 25% as profit; sell 25% to buy on pull backs and it will pull back . keep riding the rest to $ 20. If you think it will get there before the end of the year…

#47     Aug 24, 2009
    #48     Aug 24, 2009
  9. sws2179

sws2179

OP,

There something is wrong with the math:
    ($14.18-$8.00)*50,000 shares = 309,000$. Besides, couple months ago the stock was at around $10 ???:D

#49     Aug 24, 2009
  10. for libality's sake: I hold NO ONE Responsible for ANY COMMENTS and SUGGESTIONS given to me on this forum. The decision shall be fine and mine!

so, what i've done today is place a protective stop and towards the end of the day it started being hit.

I'm gonna sell tomororw and comeback to this trade at a later date. maybe even this week! But for the moment, the brain is fatigued with the move.

but, i'm the first to admit, i have solved nothing. today i started thinking about options and collars in specific--but that too is rather inexact for my taste.

comments?

#50     Aug 24, 2009