Help a beginner coder

Discussion in 'App Development' started by ivot, Aug 7, 2020.

1. ivot

ivot

Hi guys, finally I found a forum about algotrading.

I need your help to commend me what the steps that I need to do, in order to become a algotrader. I have a little notion about coding, actually I'm doing a data science course in datacamp and before it I learned python in my University (I'm doing industrial engineering).

But, I'm feeling that the data science course is not enough to implement a automated trading system. Could you tell what I need to do or study? There is any topic destined to beginners in this forum? There is a step-by-step for dummies?

Thank you, guys.

2. That is a wide-ranging question which is not easy to answer. The type of code that you need depends a lot on the type of trading you want to do. Code to review your position once per day is very different from code that runs at every change in price (which may happen multiple times per second).
    There is also a huge difference between software that can run a live trading system and software which is able to run a backtest.

3. Let me tell you a life lesson which I have learnt. I am definitely older than you, who I assumed to be a millennial, and I would like to share something.

Firstly, get over this 'inside the box' learning, courses or whatever. You can study them, but you will not make much out of it. The best lesson that you could learn is through experience, self-learning, online research. It takes time, but you will understand in depth about the subject.

When you go through these courses or theories, it limits your mind. You will think that's how things are supposed to be. But in reality, things are different.

Forget about data science and everything. Yes, you can study them. However, in my opinion, it's better if you use common sense and logic which you have gathered through experience to formulate a trading strategy.

tradermike99 likes this.
  4. El Trado

El Trado

Go here: https://github.com/hootnot/oanda-api-v20 It’s a Python wrapper to the Oanda-api. It has plenty of examples. I have based my trading on this the last few years, and make more money from automated trading (while at my dayjob) than from the day job itself.........

Good1 and toon like this.
  5. Quantconnect et quantquantpian are the best plateform for begining . There are a lot of doc references docs and active communaty 100% algotrader who helping you

6. 931

Yes , also there are many many people getting into same thinking boxes that could later lead to looking for solutions similarly.

I was fortunate enough to do all my learning alone and only later took courses to see what gets taught.

7. userque

userque

I bet you realized that you had discovered--on your own--many of the concepts that are being taught ... and ... some unique concepts that aren't being taught.

931 likes this.
  8. lvca

lvca

Start from https://ArcadeTrader.com. It's FREE and it has a powerful Natural Language, then you can do more elaborate stuff with Javascript and Python.

The nice thing is that all the most common indicators are already computed and are available without including complicated frameworks.

9. kandlekid

kandlekid

I believe you meant quantconnect and quantopian. And I agree.