Hello New to the Board, Router question?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by 1flyfisher, Jul 24, 2007.

1. JackR

JackR

Here is an extract on the LinkSys WRT159N router's firmware update:

Linksys- A Division of Cisco Systems, Inc.

Release Date : July 11, 2007
    Current Firmware : 1.01.9
    Product PartNo : WRT150N ver. 1.x

Ver #. Description
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Updated to Draft 802.11n version 2.0.
    2. Updated QoS UI
    3. Updated DST for USA
    {snip}

#31     Jul 27, 2007
  2. Well for $99.00 I will give this Linksys WRT150N router a test drive with my new PC.

What the Heck right? It can't hurt and at that price I see no risk. If it Sucks I will kick it to the curb.

What's $99 anyways? Just pennies.

I will let you know how it goes.
    The Dell Vostro is still a few more days away.

Good Trading!
    Don't Fight the Tape!

#32     Jul 29, 2007
  3. Questions for gwg-trading greg or anyone else that cares to respond.
    Thanks in advance.

Well I got the WRT 150N. It is up and running with little to no problems. Occasionally I have to log in manually. This was my first wireless router and I was surprised as It was very easy to set up. They have a webbased browser that you access to make security changes and such, like mac filtering, chaning the SSID, router password, pre shared key password etc etc. Thanks again for all the help everyone as last week I didn't know what a mac address or ssid was.

I want maximum security and I have a few questions about how to do that and getting the most security from the router and using the features and tweeking it best to configure it for max security.

So far I changed the default SSiD to a new name. I will change this from time to time.

QUESTION:I disabled the SSID broadcast. When I boot up it logs me in to my network automatically and on "connect to a network" it shows the name of my network there and says connect to (with the SSID name of my network). I am assuming that my SSID is NOT shown to others correct? That my network SSID name is just shown to me on the "connect to network" screen?
    It also shows an SSID of "UNNAMED NETWORK" and when I have to log in manually I log into "UNNAMED NETWORK" and then it shows up as Connected to and the name of my SSID. So is this definately not being broadcast?
    And Do I need to make the SSID name a lengthy one for security purposes or can it be short?

I also set up MAC Filtering to just enable my mac address.
    The security mode I chose is PSK2 with AES encryption which I undestand is newer and better than WEP.
    Under that security mode I can create a "Pre Shared Key/password" which is the password for logging into the network. I changed that from the default to a 14 numbers and letters password.

QUESTION: Do I need to make this longer than 14 characters? I am not sure how many I can put in there. But when I have to log in manually more than 14 would be a pain.

There is a password that I have to enter to access my web browser settings to make changes to the router ....a router password.
    QUESTION I have this password at 14 characters of letters and numbers Do I need to make this longer?

Thanks.

#33     Aug 5, 2007
  4. I have used linksys for years, the 99 router is part of my home network and works fine. I think you'll be happy with your choice.

Now to more important things, have you gone fishing lately? Where do you live, and what are you catching?

#34     Aug 5, 2007
  5. I flyfish alot. But not the last few weeks. I am getting this laptop setup and a trading account started. Kinda a back to work time for me as I have been away from trading securities the last few years. I started trading a LONG time ago but got burnt out. I flyfish the CA Sierra's out of the Lake Tahoe area. Primarily alot of lakes for rainbows and browns. Very good flyfishing here. I go to baja and flyfish for Tuna, Sails, Dorado and Marlin etc rooster fish etc. I do alot of flyfishing all over...Montana, Idaho, Utah, Alaska etc. Fresh and Saltwater Flyfishing whatever.

#35     Aug 5, 2007
  6. I have been trying to get some answers to my questions from Linksys. WARNING, they are complete idiots. You will get directed to some overseas Technical Support MORON that knows less than a rock about configuring a wireless router.
    Don't waste your time on the phone with Linksys, read the CD manual or ask a question here.

#36     Aug 5, 2007
  7. Great to hear...just got back from Alaska...Gustavus fishing for halibut, silver and king's, awesome time, even had a whale play with us a bit. Swam right under the boat and surfaced on the other side. Utah and AZ were great fishing the last few times I was there, I always found it interesting that sometimes, the rainbows I caught, were the same size as some of the bait I used out on the ocean. I just enjoy getting out, away from all the crowds, enjoying the clean air, cool breezes, and chasing fish. Anyway...great to hear from another angler and good luck with your trading!

#37     Aug 5, 2007
  8. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I will try to answer your questions below the best that I can based on the available information.

It appears that your SSID is not being broadcast. Only you are seeing it on your local laptop, others will not be seeing it (based on your summary).

It is best to be sure that your SSID is not something common (like your pet's name, etc.). Having an SSID that includes 10 or more symbols and is unique (not a common word).... is good.

Setting MAC filtering is important and will keep others out of your network.

PSK2 is secure and a password length of 14 characters is good (assumming the password is unique and not a common word/phrase).

I agree with you that the off-shore customer support on many of these consumer products can use improvement.

- Greg

#38     Aug 5, 2007
  9. JackR

JackR

Fourteen is more than adequate if the 14 are not something easily found by a "dictionary" attack. That is, you've not chosen something like "establishments". Use non-real words or combos like "NYse16aSE/\a^" My example is a little extreme but a combination of uppercase/lowercase and special characters is very strong. The combos possible are 14 to the power of the number of keys (and shifts) on your keyboard.

Once everything is up and runnning you'll rarely have to enter your router password. I would not make it the same as any other password, Write it down in your router book. If you forget it you'll have to reset your router. That will clear all your settings and restore the default LinkSys password and router settings and you'll have to re-setup up everything. A most annoying experience if you did not write down all the changes you made to the default settings.

If I correctly remember what I read some time ago about the SSID and the latest PSK2 encryption, the two work together somehow during your wireless login from your laptop. They both must match even though the SSID is not broadcast.

I'd suggest you check the firmware version of "802.11N" protocol you are running and if the unit you purchased is running 1.0 go to the LInkSys site and download the 2.0 version. Upgrading may wipe out all the settings you've just installed, but reloading now will probably save you aggravation/trouble in the future.

Jack

#39     Aug 5, 2007
  10. thanks guys,

I'll stick with the 14 character passwords for now, maybe I'll increase the length later on.
    I downloaded the latest firmware and it kept my prior settings so i didn't have to go back and fix that, although that takes a second to do.

I downloaded avast av.
    Do you guys just remove Norton entirely off your systems? Every time I boot up that damn Norton window comes up trying to get me to install it.
    Any other good freeware besides Avast I should consider using?

#40     Aug 6, 2007