Hello New to the Board, Router question?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by 1flyfisher, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Let me know how that works for ya.:D

Ya, some people gotta learn the hard way.

#11     Jul 25, 2007
  2. gnome

gnome

Curious...

1. When you go to Starbucks and want to get onto their net, don't you need some username to do so?

2. Once on Starbucks' net, don't all the others on their net have access to read everything on your hard drive? Security of your private info risk?

#12     Jul 25, 2007
  3. 2.4GHz wireless frequency (802.11b-, 802.11g- and draft 802.11n-compliant)
    Up to 54 Mbps data transfer rates with Wireless-G; compatible with draft 802.11n for data transfer rates up to 12 times higher than typical 802.11g rates

The Linksys sales rep said go with an N. He didn't tell me there would be any problems with an N router. he talked about alot of benefits to it.
    Do you think he was lying to me to try and sell me something?
    So you are saying this router isn't going to work or work properly because it is an N router?
    Why won't it work?

#13     Jul 25, 2007
  4. I've never been in a Starbucks before. I was just using that as an example that the N router will function at locations that operate at b or g wireless speeds. Atleast that is what the Linksys sales rep told me and suggest for me to get.
    This computer will only be used for trading in my home, never from another location.

#14     Jul 25, 2007
  5. You need the Geek Squad.

I'm not belittling you, you should just really do some more homework. Reread what has been posted. Google some of the things you are talking about. Gnome and I both already told you there are compatibility issues and you ignored the comments. Use the search button here on ET. Do some DD.

#15     Jul 25, 2007
  6. I've called Best Buy geeksquad and have found them to be very poorly educated about things. When I called them about different Intel processors they couldn't tell me if the Core 2 Duo was fatser or the newer chip over the Duo Core.
    I'll pass on the Geek Squad.
    I was hoping to find some computer saavy folks here.
    I spoke with Linksys sales reps a few times and they suggested this N router.
    I didn't know I would have so many problems with it and that it would not work. I wonder why they didn't tell me about all these problems with the N routers. I guess they just lied to try and sell me something?
    Thanks for the heads up.

#16     Jul 25, 2007
  7. gnome

gnome

Well, "N" is the new thing. A few N's get decent reviews from Newegg buyers, but most cite deficiencies. Maybe buying N now will work out OK... maybe not.

#17     Jul 25, 2007
  8. Thanks
    I'll keep that in mind when I make my final router purchase. Linksys lists this router as compatible with b and G, just like the g routers are compatible with b. I didn't know there were so many problems with them. So this upgrade to N speeds standard is going to be dropped and will never result in being functional?

#18     Jul 25, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

No, not dropped... but maybe significantly revised.

Current speeds on Ns is not much better than 11g. When N standard is finalized (still a long way out... 2009, at this point), speeds might be much better. However today's N hardware (1) might not be able to be flashed to work at the final standards, and (2) might not be compatible at all... that's one risk of buying today. "Not working at all" seems like only a low percentage probability, but stranger things have happened.

#19     Jul 25, 2007
  10. Well I can buy a Linksys G router for $49 so maybe I will just go ahead and do that for now and wait to get an N.

#20     Jul 25, 2007