Hello, I have a question about Routers

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by 1flyfisher, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Hello,
    I am new to the board, first post and have a question about whether this Router will be sufficient to insure wireless security. I started trading in the early 80's with the first home PC (IBM JR) and a 300 baud modem through Dial Data, prior to an Internet, Aol, Compuserve, Prodigy days. I have taken the last few years off from trading but I am starting back up. I have fallen behind with the current available technology but want excellent security. I have a new Dell laptop coming soon which I will use as a dedicated trading computer(No Internet) I have an old desk top with Windows 98 for the internet.

Will this ROUTER be sufficient for wireless security, does it have all the security features you need these days?

I just need the laptop to be wireless not the desktop. Will this work with an old pc and windows 98 and a new laptop? Linksys tells me it will work with the old pc and windows 98(which is what I was concerned about because some routers require 2000 or XP.
    I imagine my SBC DSL modem and the router will connect to the old windows 98 PC with an ethernet cable?and that will work to make the laptop wireless.

I am technologically unsaavy(trying to learn though).
    THANKS for any help

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1166234894847
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=8437836001B01

2. Please delete this thread it is a duplicate of the one below. The boards have been troublsome to me since I signed up. They wouldn't allow me to start a thread and now they won't allow me to delete this thread. I get this message.

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Logged in user: 1flyfisher