Hedging, yes or no?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by eleanorK80, May 6, 2024.

1. eleanorK80

eleanorK80

haven't engaged in hedging before, and I'm interested in knowing if there are any risks I should be aware of before starting?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Roark

Roark

Yes, you can lose money. If you want a more specific answer, add some specifics to your question.

murray t turtle and SunTrader like this.
  3. traderjo

traderjo

What are you trying to hedge? can you be specific please? Options are used for hedging ( both on Equity and on Futures) also one can hedge a Futures position with another by converting it in to calendar spread but skill is when how and why!

4. ktm

ktm

She's not asking you guys a question that she wants answered. She just wants you to discuss the topic amongst yourselves.

5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Op is not a she. It’s a bot.

rb7 likes this.
  6. SunTrader

SunTrader

A dumb bot that wasn't coded to understand hedging is done to try to .... reduce risk.

7. %%
    Sure .
    Its used in 2 main ways, finance ;
    1] Stocks[ETFs........ benchmarks like SPY.....] are a hedge against inflation
    2] An offset, like an inverse or short against long position, but could lose on both.
    777] Selling plan works well, take profits , let profits run+ cut losses.
    Some times can work well , but countertrends+ trends differ so much;
    countertrends can have unlimited losses , cash longs could only lose 100%\ worst case:caution::caution:
    888] I never hedge in my cash metals business but do sometimes in ETFs.

8. Can have its uses given the right context.

eleanorK80 and murray t turtle like this.
  9. nothing rather than that you should consider hedge trade also includes a spread, do not forget to take that into your consideration.

10. SunTrader

SunTrader

Bot answering bot.

#10     May 7, 2024