Hedging gas with US oil

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ggoyal, Oct 24, 2008.

1. ggoyal

ggoyal

Anybody out there hedging gas with USO?

USO is an etf. It moves almost percentage to percentage with crude oil.

Even if crude oil goes down to $40 thats fine. Eventually when it should go up, for wahetever geopolitical, weather, commodity boom, etc etc. reason, it should be worth it then.

I agree its a very small thing, but everytime you fill up when gas prices seem to high months(maybe a year from now), all you have to do is sell one share. u would essentially be paying today's price.

Gas prices at the pump also move pretty similar percentage wise to the above mentioned.

I have not bought it yet, but according to what I drive, (which is close to national avg.) I would need to buy about 25 shares of USO. today's closing price of USO was $53.

As mentioned earlier, even if it does go to 40 I wouldnt worry about it because I am paying cheaper at the pump, I just don't have to sell a share. just wait if and when prices climb above the 95-100$ region. it's kind of in a free fall right now, and after elections, oil could stabilize.

Anyone agree? I dont know why more people are not doing it. When prices go high, instead of cutting on driving because of hig prices, you would have one less thing to worry about.

I mean, this thing could also probably work for electricity prices if there is a correlation, dont know yet.

Anyone???