Hedge 'n Hold

Discussion in 'Options' started by abishiai, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Looks like a moving Iron Butterfly! :D

Great strategy!

kp

#11     Mar 14, 2003
  2. I play ELX... have positions right now in fact. So let me ask you.. how much hedge do you understand is afforded by 4/15 puts? Do you have upside/downside targets on underlying... if so, what r they ?

What if ELX slowly trades back to 15.25 by 4/18.. or only trades to 18.55.

Broker and put seller have all the marbles....

Or do you intend to sell April calls on any large move to a ST target... or sell the stock and hold puts. Or some other options stratagy.

I'm curious when you say it "works very well" what works about said strategy... for example?

Regards,
    Ice :cool:

#12     Mar 14, 2003
  3. My strategy is to hold the stock and puts through to expiration. If, in the meantime, we get a HUGE drop in ELX (like down to around $10), then I would sell the puts, buy more stock and buy the 7.50 puts.

On the other hand, if we continue this current uptrend, I will re-hedge (like I did today) every time I can buy $2.50 more of protection for $.50-.60.

At April expiration, I will continue to hold the stock and buy May puts one or two strikes out.

For this to work, ELX needs to be volatile, which it has been over the past couple years. A move up to about $25, and then a correction down to $15 would pay very well. With the impending war, I think the market will be quite volatile, but I don't know which way it is going to go, but I am a bit bullish on it, so I went long rather than short.

Cheer,

kp

#13     Mar 14, 2003
  4. IF it goes to 25 during the next 4 weeks ... I will buy you dinner in Vegas There is strong TL resistance at about 20! IF it breaks I will add on... or sell puts.

Did you see the comments by their CEO recently?

I posted them on (Market) surfer's Journal.

G'luck

Ice
    :cool:

#14     Mar 14, 2003
  5. .

#15     Mar 14, 2003
  6. Yum! :D

Now that I think about it, I do remember seeing your post about the ELX chairman. I must confess I don't pay any attention to news. I just assume the market will have already digested the news by the time I hear it, so why worry about it?

My only reason for being bullish on ELX right now is that VIX hit 40 several days ago and I think everything is headed up here for a bit. When it turns around and heads back down, I'll have my profits locked in. :cool:

Prosper!

kp

#16     Mar 14, 2003
  7. maglia rosa

maglia rosa Guest

Interestingly, you hate the bid/ask spread and the time decay in the calls but not the puts? That wouldn't make sense now, would it. Also, if you are willing to roll the puts up or down in strikes and further back in months as they expire, you should be willing to do that with the calls as well.
    There is nothing wrong with your strategy, my only point was that your effective position, when you own puts and stock in an equal ratio, you own a synthetic call, and as such might as well just own calls that you would roll up and down in strikes and further back in months. The P&L is the same (ignoring specials like early exercise etc) but you use less money to put the position on.
    cheers from the giro-leader

#17     Mar 16, 2003
  8. Today I'm making the following trade:

B: MAY 20 Put @ .95: -$770.00, $10 comm.

My net position now is:

Long: ELX 800 Shares
    Long: ELX 8 APR 17.5 Puts (Will doubtless expire worthless)
    Long: ELX 8 MAY 20 Puts
    Cash Balance: $1,055.00

I will sell my May 20 puts and buy the 22.50s when I can do it for a net .50.

Cheer,

kp

#18     Apr 14, 2003
  9. Sell them ...

#19     Apr 15, 2003
  10. How's the hedge 'n hold strategy working ?

#20     Apr 21, 2003