hedge funds

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by quickTRADER, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Read it more closely mate.

It says that the SEC will now allow you to register with them (out of the goodness of their hearts, no doubt) instead of the state. But you still must register, with one or the other.

I imagine that the States will have something to say about this as they will most assuredly not be willing to give up their regulatory scope.

In other words this won't preclude the need to register as an RIA in states that require you to do so, like California and NewYork. Unless of course you meet the traditional exemptions, like the 25mil exemption.

Don't be fooled, this is a SEC power grab attempt pure and simple. The SEC is trying to grab regulatory power from the state.

Dr. Zhivodka

#31     Feb 19, 2003
  2. marketsurfer,

I actually felt like BofA treated us fairly well even though we only had $1mm. However, if I had to do it again, I would take your route and go institutional arm of retail too. 5 cents a shares is ridiculous.

MYD

#32     Feb 19, 2003
  3. What is a hedge fund????????

I think you need to clarify that before you proceed because the BOA and SEC version of a hedge fund is MUCH different then the Elite trader version of a hedge fund.....The rules and regs of the SEC pertain more to traditional Money Management...not daytrading client funds by multiple traders...although some of the rules still apply, it's a very grey area

#33     Feb 20, 2003

4. that works! Toss darts at a board all day, and party your ass off.. my kind of firm

#34     Feb 20, 2003
  5. 1. not true

2. true

best,

surfer:)

#35     Feb 20, 2003
  6. tfmoney

tfmoney

not much 5k will get you started just do a search on google

#36     Feb 21, 2003
  7. i found that you can accomplis the same goal (of trading other's money) by setting up an LLC to lease your trading to others for a fee. that way you dont have to go through all the red tape just to be called a hedge fund.

Pete

#37     Feb 24, 2003
  8. Even before that, enough money to breakeven for a while. If your charging 1-2%, on 5 mil that's 50-100 G's a year, gross. Take out commissions, money for tech., news/data fees. Hopefully, you know a few people with some serious cash. But trade well, and the money will come.

#38     Feb 25, 2003
  9. Sounds like a good idea. If you go the more traditional route of L.P., I believe you can create an LLC to be the general partner. Limit's your risk.

#39     Feb 25, 2003

10. 5 mil profit ???????? :eek: :eek:

#40     Feb 25, 2003